[comp.unix.aix] Got Update. But what is it?

lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) (10/02/90)

I just got an AIX 3.1 update tape from IBM.  I guess it is the famous 'July' or
3001 update, but it doesn't say.  All it has in the form of an 'update level' is
the designation U401153, both on the tape and printed release notes.

Is it me, or that rather cryptic?  The early release designations like 9013 and
9021 actually meant something (although my GA release tape said only 'R01M00'.)
Or maybe AIX 3.1-n might make sense.  But U401153?

Comments?

Steve

Steve Roseman
Lehigh University Computing Center
LUSGR@VAX1.CC.Lehigh.EDU

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (10/03/90)

lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) writes:
>I just got an AIX 3.1 update tape from IBM.  I guess it is the famous 'July' or
>3001 update, but it doesn't say.  All it has in the form of an 'update level' is
>the designation U401153, both on the tape and printed release notes.

>Is it me, or that rather cryptic?  The early release designations like 9013 and
>9021 actually meant something (although my GA release tape said only 'R01M00'.)
>Or maybe AIX 3.1-n might make sense.  But U401153?

>Comments?

I'm pretty sure this is the update tape that follows 3001; it updates
ypbind to fix problems with -m and fixes a problem with the update
commands.  The 3001 tape says "3001" on it pretty clearly.  This new
tape hasn't arrived here yet (although our IBM rep told me about it
weeks ago) so I can't be absolutely sure.

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

3003jalp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Applied Magnetics) (10/03/90)

This is normal.  We get stuff from IBM all the time and we never know
what it is.  Sometimes there is a date, but not often.  If there is a
cover letter, it is always anonymous.

Seriously now:  we received the same tape, but we don't dare install it
because it may be stacked.  Why are we still waiting for our GA drive?

  --PA

lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) (10/03/90)

In article <6417@hub.ucsb.edu>, 3003jalp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Applied Magnetics) writes:
> This is normal.  We get stuff from IBM all the time and we never know
> what it is.  Sometimes there is a date, but not often.  If there is a
> cover letter, it is always anonymous.
>
> Seriously now:  we received the same tape, but we don't dare install it
> because it may be stacked.  Why are we still waiting for our GA drive?
>
>   --PA

By 'stacked', I assume that is bootable, with a table-of-contents as the third
file.  Well it is, sort of.  The first 2 files are short dummy files, the third
is the TOC, and the rest are product updates.  I have installed it on 3 systems,
and things seem stable, so far.  AIXwindows hasn't hung up on me since I did it.

3003jalp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Applied Magnetics) (10/04/90)

In article <10316.2709d542@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu> lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) writes:

>By 'stacked', I assume that is bootable, with a table-of-contents as
>the third file.  Well it is, sort of.  The first 2 files are short
>dummy files, the third is the TOC, and the rest are product updates.  I
>have installed it on 3 systems, and things seem stable, so far.
>AIXwindows hasn't hung up on me since I did it.

`Stacked' has something to do with multiple files on a tape.  I don't
really know what it is, don't want to know and don't care.  We bought
our machine early with pre-release software.  Little did we know that
some hardware would also be pre-release, i.e. the QIC tape drive.  It
doesn't know what a stacked tape is either.  IBM promised us a
replacement RSN, but we're still waiting.

Until someone gives me the straight dope, the updates have to stay in
the cooler.

  --PA

golder@nwnexus.WA.COM (Warren Jones) (10/04/90)

In article <10313.2708575f@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu> lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu
(Steve Roseman) writes:

>  I just got an AIX 3.1 update tape from IBM.  I guess it is the
>  famous 'July' or 3001 update, but it doesn't say.  All it has in
>  the form of an 'update level' is the designation U401153, both
>  on the tape and printed release notes.

That's funny.  The tape we just received from IBM is designated U401154.
Are we missing something?  Is there more than one update tape floating
around out there?  Perhaps the different numbers simply reflect different
media (we have 8mm).  For the record, our tape supposedly fixes problems
ranging from

   IX09744 Control-Y doesn't work for VI on a IBM3164.
   IX09758 Semaphore fatal errors on multiple reads ...

   to ...

   IX11118 Highlighting would remain on after being set.
   IX11457 Screen attributes where incorrectly passed.

What's on your tape?  (We have direct experience with some of the
bugs, so I'm glad to get the fixes.)

I'm troubled by the fact that we wouldn't have known of the existence
of this update except for gossip in this newsgroup.  Then our IBM SE
(actually a very helpful and knowledgeable guy) assured us that we
would receive it automatically -- not true.  Comments?

Warren Jones <golder@nwnexus.wa.com>      Golder Associates Inc.
(uucp: uunet!nwnexus!golder)              4104 148th Avenue NE
(206) 883-0777                            Redmond, WA 98052, USA

3003jalp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Applied Magnetics) (10/05/90)

In article <393@nwnexus.WA.COM> golder@nwnexus.WA.COM (Warren Jones) writes:

>That's funny.  The tape we just received from IBM is designated U401154.
>For the record, our tape supposedly fixes problems ranging from
>   IX09744 Control-Y doesn't work for VI on a IBM3164.
>   IX09758 Semaphore fatal errors on multiple reads ...
>   to ...
>   IX11118 Highlighting would remain on after being set.
>   IX11457 Screen attributes where incorrectly passed.

Same list for U401153.

>I'm troubled by the fact that we wouldn't have known of the existence
>of this update except for gossip in this newsgroup.  Then our IBM SE
>(actually a very helpful and knowledgeable guy) assured us that we
>would receive it automatically -- not true.  Comments?

I *think* we got the tape automatically.  We had been complaining
about a problem with `hcon' (communication to mainframe).  We received
U401153 about the same time as the emergency fix for ix12789.  Was
there a relation?  (I don't see ix12789 on the tape's list;  the fix
worked.)

  --PA

lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) (10/05/90)

In article <393@nwnexus.WA.COM>, golder@nwnexus.WA.COM (Warren Jones) writes:
> In article <10313.2708575f@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu> lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu
> (Steve Roseman) writes:
>
>>  I just got an AIX 3.1 update tape from IBM.  I guess it is the
>>  famous 'July' or 3001 update, but it doesn't say.  All it has in
>>  the form of an 'update level' is the designation U401153, both
>>  on the tape and printed release notes.
>
> That's funny.  The tape we just received from IBM is designated U401154.
> Are we missing something?  Is there more than one update tape floating
> around out there?  Perhaps the different numbers simply reflect different
> media (we have 8mm).  For the record, our tape supposedly fixes problems
> ranging from
>
>    IX09744 Control-Y doesn't work for VI on a IBM3164.
>    IX09758 Semaphore fatal errors on multiple reads ...
>
>    to ...
>
>    IX11118 Highlighting would remain on after being set.
>    IX11457 Screen attributes where incorrectly passed.
>
> What's on your tape?  (We have direct experience with some of the
> bugs, so I'm glad to get the fixes.)

The release notes show the same range, but they are not in numerical order.
The range of APARS is IX09744 to IX12366 (taken from a sorted output of
"instupdt -qA -d'/dev/rmt0.1' all").

> I'm troubled by the fact that we wouldn't have known of the existence
> of this update except for gossip in this newsgroup.  Then our IBM SE
> (actually a very helpful and knowledgeable guy) assured us that we
> would receive it automatically -- not true.  Comments?

I have heard the opposite - you (and so must he) order it.  We got ours because
of 2 problems I reported.

robin@pensoft.UUCP (Robin Wilson ) (10/08/90)

In article <10313.2708575f@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu> lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) writes:
>I just got an AIX 3.1 update tape from IBM.  I guess it is the famous 'July' or
>3001 update, but it doesn't say.  All it has in the form of an 'update level' is
>the designation U401153, both on the tape and printed release notes.
>
>Is it me, or that rather cryptic?  The early release designations like 9013 and
>9021 actually meant something (although my GA release tape said only 'R01M00'.)
>Or maybe AIX 3.1-n might make sense.  But U401153?

Wellllll,..... That is the July update, but even I can't explain what the
numbers mean (and I am responsible for sending out probably 10 of those per
week).  That particular designation means it is 1/4" tape (hence the "53" on
the end), but that will only be valid for this update.  (IE. U401152 == disks,
U401153 == 1/4" tape, and U401154 == 8mm tape.)

Robin D. Wilson  "I just work here, so don't take me too serious."