[comp.unix.aix] Installing 1.2 on a PS/2

aj4640@dean1.usma.edu (Robertson John MAJ) (10/03/90)

After applying the PTF disk set to AIX 1.2, the kernel rebuild
starts, but then hangs indefinitely.  Turning the machine on and off
leaves the lpp queue blocked.  qproc won't work, returning with a
"local update failed."

Even worse, the 1.2 update disks won't apply either.  I've already installed the
OS FIVE times and I just can't seem to get it to go.  Any suggestions??

Jack

bobeson@saturn.ucsc.edu (Robert Ellefson) (10/06/90)

In article <254@dean1.usma.edu> aj4640@dean1.acd.usam.edu (Major J.S. Robertson) writes:
>After applying the PTF disk set to AIX 1.2, the kernel rebuild
>starts, but then hangs indefinitely.  Turning the machine on and off
>leaves the lpp queue blocked.  qproc won't work, returning with a
>"local update failed."
>
>Even worse, the 1.2 update disks won't apply either. I've already installed the
>OS FIVE times and I just can't seem to get it to go.  Any suggestions??
>
>Jack

I have installed the 85 or so disks of the 1.2 distribution well over
ten times (yes, TEN) and the updates I have swapped in and out and
in and out and in and out more times than I care to remember.  My
machine is still sitting idle.   The only solution left seems to be
installation of a TCF cluster from our 4381.  At least we
have tapes, rather than a million disk swaps.  However, that is
not going well either.

Is there anybody out there who has gotten 1.2 to work from the floppies?
With TCP/IP?  With TCF?   Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?
Should I go back to 1.1 forever?  Will IBM ever distribute on streaming
tape?

-Bob

shawn@jdyx.UUCP (Shawn Hayes) (10/06/90)

  We've installed AIX 1.2 multiple times with no problems, other than
finding enough disk space for X and everything else including the kitchen
sink.  I've also rebuilt the kernel 10s of times trying to get the best
performance with no problems.  Well, only a couple of problems when I tried
to set up a disk cache that used all availble memory.

Can you provide more details on what problems you've encountered?  The only
lpp I haven't installed is the TCP/IP software, which I will be installing
next week.  If you can provide any pointers on things to watch out for I'd
appreciate it.

shawn hayes

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (10/06/90)

I'm running 1.2 right now. Have installed it twice. I'm sitting on the TWENTY
disk update that I just received, but am not sure that I want to waste my
entire weekend applying it for EACH lpp. AIX ON TAPE! (oh, and please don't
forget the internal tape backup, IBM).

I am also running TCP/IP. It works fine, except . . . there is an OS bug
that will not let you connect outside your domain. I have no clue as to
when IBM plans to fix this one. I am NOT using TCF.

There is light. Post a few more details and maybe SOMEONE can figure out what's
going wrong.

Harry
--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (10/06/90)

In article <14640@hydra.gatech.EDU> hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) writes:
>I am also running TCP/IP. It works fine, except . . . there is an OS bug
>that will not let you connect outside your domain. I have no clue as to
>when IBM plans to fix this one. I am NOT using TCF.

What do you mean "not let you connect outside your domain"?  I have no
clue as to what you mean by that.

AIX 1.2 certainly allows you to connect anywhere in the Internet.
You have to set your default gateway of course using the 'route'
command.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (10/06/90)

>>I am also running TCP/IP. It works fine, except . . . there is an OS bug
>>that will not let you connect outside your domain. I have no clue as to
>
>What do you mean "not let you connect outside your domain"?  I have no

If my ethernet address is: name@haas.gatech.edu, then I can connect to
any machine (or mail to any user) under gatech, like bob@hydra.gatech.edu,
but NOT to, say, bob@mentor.purdue.edu. IBM told our Georgia Tech coordinator
that this was an OS bug.

>AIX 1.2 certainly allows you to connect anywhere in the Internet.
>You have to set your default gateway of course using the 'route'
>command.
>
>Steve Dyer

Interesting. My default gateway is set, as well as my nameserver.
The nameserver works fine for local connects. I cannot connect outside
my domain even if I use the absolute address, bypassing the nameserver.

It sounds like you have your machine working, so I wonder if IBM has given us
bogus info. What updates have you applied?

Thanks.

Hap
--

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (10/08/90)

In article <254@dean1.usma.edu> aj4640@dean1.acd.usam.edu (Major J.S. Robertson) writes:
>After applying the PTF disk set to AIX 1.2, the kernel rebuild
>starts, but then hangs indefinitely.  Turning the machine on and off
>leaves the lpp queue blocked.  qproc won't work, returning with a
>"local update failed."

>  Any suggestions??

One small suggestion that might prove helpful, at least in understanding just
what is happening. Before you run the update do an 'open csh', this will give
you an alternate hft session from where you can run ps and such to see just
what stage things are at when it "hangs". You might also try and run newkernel
manually and see if it can successfully build a kernel.

Disclaimer: I do not speak for LCC or IBM.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

In article <14658@hydra.gatech.EDU> hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) writes:

>>What do you mean "not let you connect outside your domain"?  I have no
>
>If my ethernet address is: name@haas.gatech.edu, then I can connect to
>any machine (or mail to any user) under gatech, like bob@hydra.gatech.edu,
>but NOT to, say, bob@mentor.purdue.edu. IBM told our Georgia Tech coordinator
>that this was an OS bug.

You still don't quite answer the question, what do you mean by "connect"? Are
you using telnet, rlogin, ftp?? Also when you do attempt this, what is the
error message, network unreachable or what ?? There was a problem with
gethostbyname() but I don't believe the broken version was in any outside
service update and I have since fixed it. There was also a sendmail problem
in the last update which I have fixed and an "emergency fix" is available
from IBM support, I don't know the problem number but I'm sure someone else
reading this group would.

>Interesting. My default gateway is set, as well as my nameserver.
>The nameserver works fine for local connects. I cannot connect outside
>my domain even if I use the absolute address, bypassing the nameserver.
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I can't believe this is true, can't even connect using the IP address?? Were
things that broken we would certainly be inundated with Sev 1 reports :-}!
I also have an account at UCLA which is running the current level of service
and I have been able to telnet by hostname to umich.edu, vt.edu, cornell.edu
and berkeley.edu among others!

>It sounds like you have your machine working, so I wonder if IBM has given us
>bogus info. What updates have you applied?

I think what we have here is some confusion in the transmission of problem
reports between different levels of support. As I said, there is a problem
with sendmail in the latest update, if anyone out there is experiencing
mail problems contact your IBM representative about getting the fix, perhaps
this was translated somehow into a generic network problem.

Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not my employer.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv@turnkey.TCC.COM

javey@hybrid.UUCP (shahram javey) (10/09/90)

For those struggling to install 1.2 updates, please read
/usr/lib/MemoToUser/386.