[comp.unix.aix] Help on Compiling Emacs on AIX

yzhao@hermes.cs.uh.edu (10/09/90)

I am trying to install amacs on RS6000 running AIX using the file
obtained from University of Washington. The compiling went fine, but
when tring to link the object files using ld, I gor the following
messages:

0706-221 WARNING:  Import version of 'rename' replaced by local definition.
0706-222 WARNING:  Import version of 'readv' replaced by import definition.
     ...  ...

0706-244 ERROR: No entry point or export symbols were found
         following garbage collection.
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 8

The 0706-244 ERROR looked quite strange because emacs.o did have the
main function defined.

I try to use the binder option "nogc", it only produced some unresloved
refernces. Being quite new to AIX, I don't what kind of options should I
set to link it correctly. Can anybody help me to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Yi Zhao
Department of Computer Science
University of Houston
yzhao@cs.uh.edu

lowe@nthropy.UUCP (Andy Lowe) (10/10/90)

yzhao@hermes.cs.uh.edu writes:

> I am trying to install amacs on RS6000 running AIX using the file
> obtained from University of Washington. The compiling went fine, but
> when tring to link the object files using ld, I gor the following
> messages:
     ...  ...

0706-244 ERROR: No entry point or export symbols were found
         following garbage collection.

boy, does that sound familiar!

Eliot Lim <eliot@lanmola.engr.washington.edu> answered that question for
me just yesterday:

1. modify src/ymakefile to use -O, and not -g

unfortunately,
        cc -O -Demacs  -D_BSD  -c data.c
generated an error:
xlc: 1501-229 Compilation ended due to lack of space

skipping optimization for this one routine worked, however.

2. use cc rather than ld to link. (you can remove the reference to -lc)

3. also, I couldn't get the loader to find alloca().

 explicitly including the version thoughtfully provided with the gnuemacs
 distribution finally worked.

the posting:
	 use of alloca and optimization under XL C on AIX 3.1
by abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell)
in this newsgroups seems to report a similar problem.

4. I haven't tried the X emulator yet, since eliot seemed to indicate
he was having problems.  stay tuned...

it's a little clunky, but it works.

good luck!

Andy Lowe
andy@nth.com

abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) (10/10/90)

In article <9010092106.AA22112@nth.com> lowe@nthropy.UUCP (Andy Lowe) writes:

>yzhao@hermes.cs.uh.edu writes:
>
>the posting:
>	 use of alloca and optimization under XL C on AIX 3.1
>by abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell)
>in this newsgroups seems to report a similar problem.

This may not be a similar problem.  The official solution to the absence
of alloca() is to use

	#pragma	alloca

instead.  (See the BSD porting guide in /usr/lpp/bsdport.)  My problem
was that, while the #pragma worked with no CC optimization or with debug
(-g) mode, I couldn't get it to work when I used optimization (-O).  I
don't yet have an answer to that paradox.

eliot@lanmola.engr.washington.edu (Eliot Lim) (10/10/90)

In article <9010092106.AA22112@nth.com> lowe@nthropy.UUCP (Andy Lowe) writes:

>4. I haven't tried the X emulator yet, since eliot seemed to indicate
>he was having problems.  stay tuned...

Actually I tried building it with X and when it didn't work I just zapped X
since I don't really care about having an extra emacs window.  The fix might
be simple but I don't have the time to go hunt it down.  If someone has the
time please pass the fix along and I will put it with the rest of the stuff
at byron.

Also, anyone had any success with building a dumped version?

Eliot