[comp.unix.aix] cutting from info into vi

rds95@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) (08/17/90)

I been tryin to paste example gl programs from infoexplorer
into vi, but there seems to be some limit on the size
of the cut buffer. If one exceeds the limit, all that gets
pasted is a number, like "4040". The info database is
on another machine. Is there a better way?

rob
"Unix has its weak points, but its file system is not one of them." -Chris Torek
	rob      rob@asrcmv.albany.edu   or   rds95@leah.albany.edu
		I have no idea what the uucp path to me is.

>I been tryin to paste example gl programs from infoexplorer
>into vi, but there seems to be some limit on the size
>of the cut buffer. If one exceeds the limit, all that gets
>pasted is a number, like "4040".

The Andrew toolkit's handling of very large selections (in the X sense
of "selections") is buggy; it doesn't handle the INCR stuff correctly.
It stuffs the value of the INCR property (the "lower bound on the size")
as an ASCII string rather than as a number; if the version in Info also
gives that property type STRING rather than INCR, this could cause the
symptoms you're seeing.

This may not help you unless you have source, but IBM should go off and
check this....

RAH@IBM.COM ("Russell A. Heise") (10/10/90)

 rds95@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) writes:

 > I been tryin to paste example gl programs from infoexplorer
 > into vi, but there seems to be some limit on the size
 > of the cut buffer. If one exceeds the limit, all that gets
 > pasted is a number, like "4040". The info database is
 > on another machine. Is there a better way?

 The 'cut' buffer for InfoExplorer appears to be of fixed size.  However,
 you can get around the problem through careful use of the queueing
 system. First, use either 'smit' or 'mkque' and 'mkquedev' to create a
 queue stanza and a device stanza for the queueing system in
 "/etc/qconfig".  Give the device stanza at least the following three
 attribute lines:
         backend = /bin/cat
         access = write
         file = /infoPrint         <== some file name
 Next, set your PRINTER environment variable to the name of your queue
 stanza and start up 'info'.  This time, instead of "cutting" the
 selected text, "print" it.  'info' will print to the queue identified by
 the PRINTER variable, which will send output to the file listed in the
 device stanza. In between "prints", you can move that file to another
 name and keep the output separated.

Russ Heise, AIX Technical Support, IBM

marc@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (Marc Pawliger) (10/12/90)

In article <101090.094243.heise1@ibm.com>, RAH@IBM.COM ("Russell A. Heise") writes:

|>  rds95@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) writes:
|>
|>  > I been tryin to paste example gl programs from infoexplorer
|>  > into vi, but there seems to be some limit on the size
|>  > of the cut buffer. If one exceeds the limit, all that gets
|>  > pasted is a number, like "4040". The info database is
|>  > on another machine. Is there a better way?
|>
|>  The 'cut' buffer for InfoExplorer appears to be of fixed size.  However,
|>  you can get around the problem through careful use of the queueing
|>  system. [....]

There was a bug in the way Info handled the INCR protocol for cut and paste
such that when the protocol was requested it wouldn't work.  "The INCR
protocol" is an X mechanism for cutting and pasting large selections
so that the server doesn't get too bogged down when doing large cuts and
pastes.

This is fixed in the "post-July" update, which will/is be called the
"September Update".

+---Marc Pawliger---IBM Advanced Workstations Division---Palo Alto, CA---+
|    Internet: marc%ibmsupt@uunet.uu.net     VNET:    MARCP at AUSVM6    |
|     UUCP:     uunet!ibmsupt!ibmpa!marc      Phone:   (415) 855-3493    |
+------IBMnet:   marc@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com------IBM T/L:  465-3493--------+