[comp.unix.aix] tape backup on RS/6000

cfjph@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Judy P. Halchin) (10/18/90)

I am trying to backup an RS/6000 to 8mm tape, and I have two problems.  The
first (which I saw asked here a few weeks ago, but never saw an answer) is
how do I backup all my filesystems onto a single tape.  After backing up each
filesystem it rewinds the tape, forcing me to use a new one for the next
filesystem.  There must be a better way!  Second, it warns me that a backup
may not be any good if the filesystem was not unmounted first.  When I tried
to unmount /usr I got a message that it was busy.  I think this is surely
because /usr/lib/sendmail and /usr/lib/errdemon were running.  sendmail poses
no problem, but the man page for errdemon tells me not to stop and restart it.
How then, am I to make a good backup of /usr?  What terrible things will
happen if I stop and restart errdemon?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Judy Halchin
Eastern Illinois University
cfjph@ux1.cts.eiu.edu

gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone) (10/18/90)

In the referenced article cfjph@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Judy P. Halchin) writes:

>I am trying to backup an RS/6000 to 8mm tape, and I have two problems.  The
>first (which I saw asked here a few weeks ago, but never saw an answer) is
>how do I backup all my filesystems onto a single tape.

Use /dev/rmt0.1 as the backup device.... the ".1" is a special interface
to rmt0 that does not rewind the tape after each close.

>  Second, it warns me that a backup
>may not be any good if the filesystem was not unmounted first.  When I tried
>to unmount /usr I got a message that it was busy.

Unless you have to back up a "live" filesystem (i.e. you can't take the
system away from your users to back it up), it is best to run backup
from single user mode, entered with shutdown -m.  This leaves all
but / unmounted... note that neat things like "more" won't be available,
but it will insure a clean backup.

-- Glenn R. Stone
gs26@prism.gatech.edu, glenns@eas.gatech.edu

johnson@ecovsh.eco.ncsu.edu (Amy Johnson) (10/18/90)

cfjph@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Judy P. Halchin) writes:
> I am trying to backup an RS/6000 to 8mm tape, and I have two problems.  The
> first (which I saw asked here a few weeks ago, but never saw an answer) is
> how do I backup all my filesystems onto a single tape.  After backing up each
> filesystem it rewinds the tape, forcing me to use a new one for the next
> filesystem.  There must be a better way!

I posted the request for help on 8mm multiple filesystem backups a while
back.
Here are some helpful responses I received.  I implemented a different
method, which is probably not as efficient as the multiple filesystem method.
I use the command:

find /local /u/ugrad /u/faculty /u/grad /u/staff /usr /etc -print | backup
-i -q -f/dev/rmt1

This works ok and puts everything on one tape so the backup could be automated.
I hope to change this to the multiple filesystem method when I get a free
second.

Amy <johnson@ecovsh.eco.ncsu.edu>
Engineering Computer Operations
North Carolina State University

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 90 16:31:02 CDT
From: bware@csm9b.mines.colorado.edu (Bob Ware)

We ran into the same problem.

The restore command defaults to the SECOND backup on the tape (don't ask
me WHY!).  That made us think that the first one was being overwritten
by the second.

Try something like:

restore -s 1 ...

to read the first backup on the tape.

This was explained to us by an IBM person in Austin.

Bob Ware, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Co 80401, USA
(303) 273-3987
bware@mines.colorado.edu bware@mines.bitnet

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 12:12:56 -0500
From: jws@anaconda.cc.purdue.edu

We have an 8mm tape and I'm doing multiple backups on the tape.  I
believe the message from backup about rewinding the tape is in error.
I get it too, but I have been able to skip out and read all of the
backups.  Try reading the tape with "restore -i -s1 -f/dev/rmt1.1".
You should see the files from the first backup.  "quit" and repeat the
command and you should see the files from the second backup.
You'll probably find the dumps are there.

	- Jeff Stewart
	Purdue University Computing Center

mroz@eplrx7.uucp (Peter Mroz) (10/18/90)

We use the following script to backup our entire system.  We have about
6 filesystems under the rootvg volume group.  If you have more than one
volume group you may need to find ALL files, put that list into a file,
and feed it to backup.

Enjoy!

#!/bin/ksh
# backupall: backup all files under /
#
# 7/24/90 Peter Mroz
#
# To submit as a batch job:
#
#	at now +8 hours backupall
#
# Output will be in /backlog.xxxyyzzzz.Z, where x, y, and z are a concatenated
# date.  For example, on July 4th, 1990, the backup file will be
# /backlog.Jul041990.Z

# Revision 8/8/90 Peter Mroz

#	o Due to the size of the backlog files (332K) compress them (~84K)

# Revised 8/16/90 PM
#	o Change backlog to bklog - see more files with ls

# Submit the next backup job
at 10 pm tomorrow backupall

# Don't run on weekends
today=$(date | cut -c1-3)
if [ $today = "Sat" ] || [ $today = "Sun" ]
then
	exit
fi

extension=$(date | cut -c5-7,9,10,25-28)

cd /;find . -print | backup -v -if/dev/rmt0 > bklog.${extension}

# Compress the log file to save space
compress bklog.${extension}

--
    Peter Mroz                    |    E.I. Du Pont de Nemours & Co.
    eplrx7!mroz@uunet.uu.net      |    Consultant, Scicon
--
The UUCP Mailer

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (10/18/90)

cfjph@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Judy P. Halchin) writes:

>I am trying to backup an RS/6000 to 8mm tape, and I have two problems.  The
[...]
>Any help will be greatly appreciated.

We simply "cd /" and "find . -print | backup -i".  We probably need to
take volume backups too, but these probably SHOULD be one per tape.
Note that we unmount the CDROM first, because we really don't need to backup
all that stuff!

--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."

karish@pangea.Stanford.EDU (Chuck Karish) (10/21/90)

In article <1990Oct17.175518.18355@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cfjph@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu
(Judy P. Halchin) writes:

>[H]ow do I backup all my filesystems onto a single tape.  After backing up each
>filesystem it rewinds the tape, forcing me to use a new one for the next
>filesystem.

Use /dev/rmt0.1 instead of /dev/rmt0 (your major number may vary) and
the tape will not rewind on close.  For more information, check the
info database.  It takes a bit of searching.

>Second, it warns me that a backup
>may not be any good if the filesystem was not unmounted first.  When I tried
>to unmount /usr I got a message that it was busy.  I think this is surely
>because /usr/lib/sendmail and /usr/lib/errdemon were running.  sendmail poses
>no problem, but the man page for errdemon tells me not to stop and restart it.
>How then, am I to make a good backup of /usr?  What terrible things will
>happen if I stop and restart errdemon?

Tell your users to log out, then do 'telinit 1'.  'telinit 2' will bring
the system back to normal multi-user mode.

To see how errdemon is started, try 'man inittab'.  I don't know why the
warning is there.
--

	Chuck Karish	karish@mindcraft.com