[comp.unix.aix] anyone have nn working under 3.1

carl@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au (Carl Lewis) (10/18/90)

Does anyone have nn working under 3.1 ?  Getting it to compile isn't a problem.

The problem starts when nn trys to write to the screen .  Using
the USE_TERMCAP flag causes what look like cursor addressing problems.
Using the USE_TERMINFO flag causes things to go missing when written
to the screen (like the article titles and authors names etc)

Thanks ,
Carl.
--

Snail:  Computer Science Dept., University of Tasmania,
        GPO Box 252C, Hobart, TAS, 7001, Australia.

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (10/18/90)

In article <1801@diemen.utas.edu.au>, carl@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au
(Carl Lewis) writes:
Carl> Does anyone have nn working under 3.1 ?  Getting it to compile
Carl> isn't a problem.

Carl> The problem starts when nn trys to write to the screen .  Using
Carl> the USE_TERMCAP flag causes what look like cursor addressing
Carl> problems.  Using the USE_TERMINFO flag causes things to go
Carl> missing when written to the screen (like the article titles and
Carl> authors names etc)

I didn't define it anywhere when compiling, so I guess the USE_TERMCAP
was picked up... Just make sure that the curses (not the termcap
emulation library) library is linked in during compile. Anyway, I have
tested nn (6.4) with aixterm, IBM 3151, vt100, vt220 terminals...

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

sequoia@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Gary M. Lin) (10/25/90)

In article <1801@diemen.utas.edu.au> carl@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au (Carl Lewis) writes:
>Does anyone have nn working under 3.1 ?  Getting it to compile isn't a problem.
>
>The problem starts when nn trys to write to the screen .  Using
>the USE_TERMCAP flag causes what look like cursor addressing problems.
>Using the USE_TERMINFO flag causes things to go missing when written
>to the screen (like the article titles and authors names etc)

	I can't vouch for 3.1 (our IBM CE 'asked' for our evaluation model
	back before we had any fun with it), but nn 1.69 ran correctly
	under release 9022 after tweaking the source code.

	Never had a problem with the termcap, and ran extremely well under
	aixterm.  Which systerm-dependent include files are you using?

------
INTERNET:  sequoia@ucscb.UCSC.EDU		Gary M. Lin
	   quantum@slugmail.UCSC.EDU		Computer Engineering
UUCP: !ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!sequoia		Cowell College, UC Santa Cruz