[comp.unix.aix] minidisks command won't delete

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (10/20/90)

I need to delete my /u minidisk, in order to reallocate it.
I am running AIX 1.2.   the "minidisks" command tells me that I am
not permitted to delete hd1 (my /u).  I am root, in single-user mode, and
/u is NOT mounted.  What do I have to do to get the darn thing to delete?
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."

mjones@fenway.aix.kingston.ibm.com (Mike Jones) (10/22/90)

In article <1418@msa3b.UUCP>, kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
> I need to delete my /u minidisk, in order to reallocate it.

You need to bring up the system from the maintenance diskette. Certain
minidisks (/, /local, /u, and /tmp I think) are marked as "system"
minidisks, which are created automagically at installation and which can
only be removed while running from the maintenance diskette.
--
Mike Jones         | The best book on programming for the layman is "Alice
AIX Development    | in Wonderland"; but that's because it's the best book

jp@electra.la.locus.com (John Pipkins) (10/24/90)

In article <1418@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>I need to delete my /u minidisk, in order to reallocate it.
>I am running AIX 1.2.   the "minidisks" command tells me that I am
>not permitted to delete hd1 (my /u).  I am root, in single-user mode, and
>/u is NOT mounted.  What do I have to do to get the darn thing to delete?
>--
>Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
>{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin
>
>"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."

Mount it!!!???

shawn@jdyx.UUCP (Shawn Hayes) (10/24/90)

  I'm not so sure that using the maintenance diskettes will let you delete
/u.  I had been using /u for testing raw disk interfaces and wanted to
clean it up.  Since I wasn't sure of how to do it I thought I'd delete it
and recreate it.  I could not delete it when running the minidisk command
and I could not delete when I booted off my maintenance diskette.

Shawn

milton@ecn.purdue.edu (Milton D Miller) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct24.031522.22788@jdyx.UUCP> shawn@jdyx.UUCP (Shawn Hayes) writes:

>  I'm not so sure that using the maintenance diskettes will let you delete
>/u.  I had been using /u for testing raw disk interfaces and wanted to
>clean it up.  Since I wasn't sure of how to do it I thought I'd delete it
>and recreate it.  I could not delete it when running the minidisk command
>and I could not delete when I booted off my maintenance diskette.
>
>Shawn

It is definately possible to do this from the VRM maintnace facility,
as I did this once (I wanted to move the file system to another minidisk).

Of course, the VRM M.F. is not the most user friendly :-), but basicly:
1) backup if needed
2) boot vrm install/maint
3) maint shell
4) use help to get the other command names
5) get the minidisk attributes and iodn (list something)
6) delete the iodn
7) recreate the iodn with the same attributes (use change attributes if
   necessary, I don't rember)
8) mkfs on the new iodn
10) exit and reboot aix

milton

DISCLAIMER: I did this last summer, but I don't have an RT around here
to check what I said (or get the vrm commands from, for that matter).

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (10/25/90)

shawn@jdyx.UUCP (Shawn Hayes) writes:

>  I'm not so sure that using the maintenance diskettes will let you delete
>/u.  I had been using /u for testing raw disk interfaces and wanted to
>clean it up.  Since I wasn't sure of how to do it I thought I'd delete it
>and recreate it.  I could not delete it when running the minidisk command
>and I could not delete when I booted off my maintenance diskette.

Ditto.

A boot in single-user mode from the hard disk tells me that I am not
"allowed" to delete that disk.  The only improvement with the maintenance
diskette is that it also tells me that I am not allowed "because it is a
system minidisk."  I believe that AIX 1.2 incorrectly identifies /u
as a "system" disk. If others concurr, I'll report it as a bug.  As for
now, I guess its time for ANOTHER re-install.  :-(

--

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (10/26/90)

milton@ecn.purdue.edu (Milton D Miller) writes:

>In article <1990Oct24.031522.22788@jdyx.UUCP> shawn@jdyx.UUCP (Shawn Hayes) writes:
>>
>>  I'm not so sure that using the maintenance diskettes will let you delete
>>/u.  I had been using /u for testing raw disk interfaces and wanted to
>>clean it up.  Since I wasn't sure of how to do it I thought I'd delete it
>>and recreate it.  I could not delete it when running the minidisk command
>>and I could not delete when I booted off my maintenance diskette.
>>
>>Shawn

>It is definately possible to do this from the VRM maintnace facility,
>as I did this once (I wanted to move the file system to another minidisk).

Someone chopped off the original request which stated AIX 1.2.
I guess I'll have to call IBM and request the VRM diskette for AIX 1.2?
:-)

Seriously, after messing with this for too long, I decided it would be
faster to re-install. (Let's see, this should make about the 50th install.
:-(