[comp.unix.aix] Updating AIX 1.2

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (10/22/90)

Recent post(s) have commented on the difficulty of finding space on an
AIX PS/2 system to apply the updates.  I thought I'd never have this problem
with 300M, but...

My approach was to
   rm -rf /usr/lpp/X11
   rm -rf /usr/lpp/x11smpls

After all, using X on a PS/2 as a terminal to our 6000 was abysmal anyhow!
(Can you say 30 seconds to display a screen from Info?  Sure, I new you
 could!)

It appears that you only need the 38,000 blocks free to APPLY the updates.
You can probably reinstall X, and update it afterward (but I'm not going
to bother).
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."

gregfife@aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com (Greg Fife) (10/23/90)

In article <1419@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:

>My approach was to
>   rm -rf /usr/lpp/X11
>   rm -rf /usr/lpp/x11smpls

Another thing you can do is tar up and remove /usr/man.

     cd /usr/man
     tar cdf - . | compress > /tmp/man.tar.Z
     if you are paranoid, ftp man.Z to some place with enough disk
     cd /
     rm -rf /usr/man

The BOS update may create a new /usr/man/cat1/dbx.1.
/usr/man and /usr/man/cat1 will be recreated if they are not present.

This should free up about 7,500 blocks.

Greg Fife                             gregfife@plkse.iinus1.ibm.com
Eastern Region AIX Support            uunet!ibmps2!aix!gregfife
IBM Kingston                          (914) 385-6655

bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) (10/24/90)

[This thread started by somebody asking how to free space on a PS/2]

This is great.  Two IBM'ers commenting each others articles, it gets amusing,
as also noted by in article <1990Oct24.040918.14410@panews> by jsalter@slo.UUCP
(Jim Salter):

|This is great!  I don't think I've ever seen this many IBMer's on the
|net before... and from AIX Support, too! (no sarcasm intended)

Sure, no sarcasm, no criticism - we actually like to see you around.

In article <4242@aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com> gregfife@plkse.iinus1.ibm.com writes:

|Another thing you can do is tar up and remove /usr/man.

I though of that as a nice idea, provided that you did install the man pages
in the first place of course, but read on:

Article <1990Oct24.040918.14410@panews> by jsalter@slo.UUCP (Jim Salter)
commented on this:

|Uhmm, this can lose you information.  The stuff found in /usr/man is
|generally information that either wasn't deemed important enough to go
|in the InfoExplorer pages, or (more likely) stuff that got thought of
|too late in the process to make it into Info.

Wow - this means that info is now available for the PS/2 AIX 1.2 as well -
or is it that Jim Salter (whos answers are normally quite helpful) didn't note
that this was for the PS/2.  Jim continues

|And, no, the ODM does not contain apar-fixes information as well :-).

Since when did the PS/2 have an ODM?  (I wish it had)

As a closing remark (completely out of context), it would be so, _so_, _SO_
nice if IBM had an internet nameserver located @ibm.com, using MX records or
whatever, so that we could simply mail you person@somewhere.ibm.com.  Since
you are so much into the Unix business with the RISC System/6000 you should
really get this set up as well.  It would also make my signature shorter :-)

Thanks for reading this far,
--
Bjorn Engsig,         E-mail: bengsig@oracle.com, bengsig@oracle.nl
ORACLE Corporation    From IBM: auschs!ibmaus!cs.utexas.edu!uunet!oracle!bengsig

            "Stepping in others footsteps, doesn't bring you ahead"

jsalter@slo (10/25/90)

In article <1032@nlsun1.oracle.nl> bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) writes:
>|And, no, the ODM does not contain apar-fixes information as well :-).
>Since when did the PS/2 have an ODM?  (I wish it had)

Well, there are a lot of people who are glad it doesn't, but that's another
matter for another time.

As for the other information, you are, of course, correct.  My brain was
completely on the 6000 when I made those comments.  It's correct for the
6000, too.  It just doesn't work for the PS/2, which is what was originally
commented on...  Thanks for keeping me honest.

>As a closing remark (completely out of context), it would be so, _so_, _SO_
>nice if IBM had an internet nameserver located @ibm.com, using MX records or
>whatever, so that we could simply mail you person@somewhere.ibm.com.  Since
>you are so much into the Unix business with the RISC System/6000 you should
>really get this set up as well.  It would also make my signature shorter :-)

You are not the only one.  Keep trying.  After all, it worked with the
"Open Letter on USENET" for HP/Apollo customers.  Speaking of which, I
think HP/Apollo brought up some good points about using the internet
for bug fixes and bug reporting.

I'm sure companies will start using e-mail for bug-reporting and maybe
even bug-fix distribution.  The question, though, is when.  And what
does legal have to say about it.

>Bjorn Engsig,         E-mail: bengsig@oracle.com, bengsig@oracle.nl
>            "Stepping in others footsteps, doesn't bring you ahead"

jim/jsalter  IBM AWD, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427   VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: jsalter@slo.awdpa.ibm.com         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
  PS/2 it, or DIE!  :-)  The ramblings above have nothing to do with Big Blue.

rlm@jdyx.UUCP (Richard Mayson) (10/27/90)

Another suggestion to free space on the PS/2.  If you have applied updates,
look at the directory /etc/lpp.save.  This can become very large, the
subdirectories (which are numbers) can be removed if your updates are
complete.

Richard Mayson