[fa.info-vax] VMS --> non-VMS mail

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/11/85)

From: MSEV%PHOBOS%phobos%deimos%hamlet.arpa@lbl.arpa

>Mail  to  non-VMS  machines  is very important to many sites (ours
>included). The many work-arounds in existence point out this need,
>yet DEC provides *NO* support for this.  If you don't use  DECNET,
>then you lose.

I agree with Marty Sasaki.  I would add that we are using those
non-supported v4 VMS hooks on our local net and thence to the world.
Speaking as a user (and representing what other users have told me), I
have found the MAIL to off-net facilities very useful and convenient.
Our users balk at having to learn more than one MAIL system.  (There are
at least 4 going on our campus!)

So, I would suggest that the current hooks are adequate from a user's
viewpoint, and should be supported (in some form) in future releases. As
far as money goes, we are already paying for maintenance. Basic support
for non-VMS mail should be treated as a normal upgrade.

Martin Ewing
Radio Astronomy, Caltech
818-356-4970
mse%hamlet @ LBL.ARPA