[comp.unix.aix] answers to various

wade@speedy.cs.utk.edu (reed wade) (11/01/90)

PostScript remote printing in AIX 3.1

	Blow off AIX's queueing ugliness and port the less ugly
	Berkley lpd code (works great--less filling)

Tektronix emulation in aixterm

	it's -t; but don't use that aixterm ugliness, build the
	mit R4 clients and libs.

Can root have /bin/csh as login shell

	Works fine for me. Beware tho, we've got a 550 with a less
	functional csh than on our older machines. This is likely
	due to the fact that we got that machine in a sort of pre-
	release fashion. I expect they'll fix it back again.
	(The problems are with ~ * expansion.)

Re: RS/6000 Model 320 FP Performance

	It is my understanding that IBM has or will put out an optimized
	BLAS. That might be a lie, I could find out if anyone really is
	interested.

-reed
wade@cs.utk.edu

jpe@egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger) (11/01/90)

From article <1990Nov1.034345.1065@cs.utk.edu>, by wade@speedy.cs.utk.edu (reed wade):

> PostScript remote printing in AIX 3.1
>
> 	Blow off AIX's queueing ugliness and port the less ugly
> 	Berkley lpd code (works great--less filling)

Do you have patches for this?  I'm working on it but, hey, if
you've done it you could save me some time...

-John

wade@speedy.cs.utk.edu (reed wade) (11/02/90)

In article <1151@cameron.egr.duke.edu>, jpe@egr.duke.edu (John P.
Eisenmenger) writes:
|> From article <1990Nov1.034345.1065@cs.utk.edu>, by
wade@speedy.cs.utk.edu (reed wade):

|> > PostScript remote printing in AIX 3.1
|> >
|> > 	Blow off AIX's queueing ugliness and port the less ugly
|> > 	Berkley lpd code (works great--less filling)
|>
|> Do you have patches for this?  I'm working on it but, hey, if
|> you've done it you could save me some time...
|>
|> -John

It can by had by anonymous ftp in pub/ibm_rs6000/lpd.tar.Z on cs.utk.edu

-reed
wade@cs.utk.edu

bglenden@mandrill.cv.nrao.edu (Brian Glendenning) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Nov1.034345.1065@cs.utk.edu> wade@speedy.cs.utk.edu (reed wade) writes:
	   It is my understanding that IBM has or will put out an optimized
	   BLAS. That might be a lie, I could find out if anyone really is
	   interested.

I don't know how optimized it is, but /lib/libblas.a exists (and at
least isamax from it works).

Brian
--
       Brian Glendenning - National Radio Astronomy Observatory
bglenden@nrao.edu          bglenden@nrao.bitnet          (804) 296-0286