[comp.unix.aix] Can root have /bin/csh as login shell

teexand@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Andrew Dawson) (11/01/90)

On an RS/6000 under AIX v3, the system is distributed with root's shell
as /bin/ksh. Is there any problem changing this to /bin/csh? I know that
csh is not part of the minimal base system, but is this a problem once
the extensions have been installed?

Andrew.

Andrew Dawson, Computer Unit, Windeyer Building, University College & Middlesex
School of Medicine, Cleveland Street, London W1P 6DB, England.
JANET:    andrew@uk.ac.ucl.sm.uxm          EARN/BITNET: andrew@uxm.sm.ucl.ac.uk
INTERNET: andrew%uxm.sm.ucl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
UUCP:     ...!ukc!uxm.sm.ucl.ac.uk!andrew

peter@msinc.msi.com (Peter Blemel) (11/01/90)

Having /bin/csh as the login shell can be painful if you're not careful. I
currently have it as the login shell, but I know better. I re-installed the
os and then restored the passwd file before installing the lpp with csh on it.
I logged out, figuring I'd finish it in the morning. Big mistake. You can't
login when the shell is not there. I had to go into maintenence mode to fix
it.

Peter

engbert@cs.vu.nl (Engbert Gerrit IJff) (11/01/90)

In article <133@.msinc.msi.com>,
	peter@msinc.msi.com (Peter Blemel) writes:
)
) Having /bin/csh as the login shell can be painful if you're not careful. I
) currently have it as the login shell, but I know better. I re-installed the
) os and then restored the passwd file before installing the lpp with csh on it.
) I logged out, figuring I'd finish it in the morning. Big mistake. You can't
) login when the shell is not there. I had to go into maintenence mode to fix
) it.
)
) Peter

Well, in the future you could avoid this problem by
ln /bin/sh /bin/csh
if you would like to logout and finish installation
at a later time, couldn't you?

Bert

valdis@wizards.vt.edu (Valdis Kletnieks) (11/02/90)

In article <8108@star.cs.vu.nl>, engbert@cs.vu.nl (Engbert Gerrit IJff) writes:
|> Well, in the future you could avoid this problem by
|> ln /bin/sh /bin/csh
|> if you would like to logout and finish installation
|> at a later time, couldn't you?

Wouldn't this be rather messy on a system that assumes that the Bourne shell
and C shell have different syntax'es?   I'd hate to do this and come in the
next morning and find that every single thing run from crontab died overnight
because the C-shell didn't like Bourne syntax (or vice versa)...

And of course the '#!' hack only gets things even MORE confused then...

					Valdis Kletnieks
					Virginia Tech

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (11/06/90)

teexand@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Andrew Dawson) writes:
>On an RS/6000 under AIX v3, the system is distributed with root's shell
>as /bin/ksh. Is there any problem changing this to /bin/csh? I know that
>csh is not part of the minimal base system, but is this a problem once
>the extensions have been installed?

It causes no problem, we've had csh installed for months.  In fact,
there's a bug in ksh which causes it to infinite loop if you `su' from
a user whose home directory is NFS mounted from a Sun (this bug exists
as of 3001, don't know about 3002 yet), which is what prompted our
change.

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com