[comp.unix.aix] How to reduce filesystem size.

jensen@adobe.com (Freddy Jensen) (11/08/90)

Hi Folks,

   I recently used the chfs command to expand the filesystems on my disk.
   Unfortunately  I made  /usr  unnecessarily large.  Now  chfs will not
   allow me to reduce the size of /usr.  Does anyone know how to do this
   (other than reformatting the disk ;-) ?

Thanks

Freddy
-------------
Freddy Jensen
Display Postscript Group
Adobe Systems Incorporated
1585 Charleston Road, P.O. Box 7900
Mountain View, CA 94039-7900
Internet: jensen@adobe.com
          adobe!jensen@sun.com
          adobe!jensen@decwrl.dec.com
uucp:     ...!{decwrl,sun,uunet,apple}!adobe!jensen
phone:    (415) 962-3869 / 961-4400

boote@bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu (Jeff W. Boote) (11/09/90)

In article <8024@adobe.UUCP>, jensen@adobe.com (Freddy Jensen) writes:
>    I recently used the chfs command to expand the filesystems on my disk.
>    Unfortunately  I made  /usr  unnecessarily large.  Now  chfs will not
>    allow me to reduce the size of /usr.  Does anyone know how to do this
>    (other than reformatting the disk ;-) ?

Nope, currently chfs does not support reducing filesystems.  Our rep says
that will come with aix3.2.

--
Jeff W. Boote                   SCD/NCAR
boote@ncar.ucar.edu           Boulder, Colo

luis@mavrick.UUCP (luis basto) (11/09/90)

In article <8024@adobe.UUCP>, jensen@adobe.com (Freddy Jensen) writes:

>    I recently used the chfs command to expand the filesystems on my disk.
>    Unfortunately  I made  /usr  unnecessarily large.  Now  chfs will not
>    allow me to reduce the size of /usr.  Does anyone know how to do this
>    (other than reformatting the disk ;-) ?

chfs is a unidirectional command, ie, you can increase but not decrease a
filesystem. To do what you want, try the following:

0. figure out how large you really want /usr to be remembering that it's
   very easy to increase it later
1. backup /usr
2. remove /usr -> you have to do this in maintainence mode
3. remake /usr with a smaller size
4. restore /usr

You can do most of these steps in smit. Good luck.
--
Luis Basto
Work: (512) 823-3081

karish@pangea.Stanford.EDU (Chuck Karish) (11/09/90)

In article <8024@adobe.UUCP> jensen@adobe.COM () writes:
>   I recently used the chfs command to expand the filesystems on my disk.
>   Unfortunately  I made  /usr  unnecessarily large.  Now  chfs will not
>   allow me to reduce the size of /usr.  Does anyone know how to do this
>   (other than reformatting the disk ;-) ?

- telinit 1
- umount all
- archive /usr onto tape
- delete the /usr logical volume, using smit or rmlv/rmfs/whatever
- create a new /usr logical volume of the correct size
- restore /usr from tape
- mount all
- telinit 2

A bit tedious, but it does save all the installation/update/patching/
configuring you've done in /usr.

--

	Chuck Karish	karish@mindcraft.com

dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) (11/10/90)

In article <8024@adobe.UUCP> jensen@adobe.COM () writes:
>Hi Folks,
>
>   I recently used the chfs command to expand the filesystems on my disk.
>   Unfortunately  I made  /usr  unnecessarily large.  Now  chfs will not
>   allow me to reduce the size of /usr.  Does anyone know how to do this
>   (other than reformatting the disk ;-) ?

If you do come across something, I'd really like to know to.  From the
feedback I've gotten here on my similar posting, we're SOL.  We just spent
two days backing up and restoring.  Took us a few trys to get it right :-(

# CompuServe: >INTERNET:uunet.UU.NET!ki!dwatts    Dan Watts         #
# UUCP      : ...!{uunet | wgc386}!ki!dwatts      Ki Research, Inc. #
############### New Dimensions In Network Connectivity ##############