[comp.unix.aix] Files > 4MB

cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov10.190318.18938@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> brtmac@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu (Brett McCoy) writes:

   In <1990Nov9.170337.9484@onion.pdx.com> jeff@onion.pdx.com (Jeff Beadles) writes:

   >In <1008@intelisc.isc.intel.com> cfj@isc.intel.com (Charlie Johnson) writes:

   >>I'm curious if the companies who support Unix on large systems made the
   >>necessary file system changes to allow individual files which are larger
   >>than 4 gigabytes ??  You'd have to at least stretch the file size in the
   >>inode beyond 32 bits and possibly mess around in the super block.  Any
   >>comments ??

   >Well, that would take one big disk :-)  Unix files can not span physical disk
   >partitions, at least on more common version of Unix. (Has anyone changed this?)

   Unless what I read recently is totally bogus, the latest version of AIX,
   the version that is on the new RS/6000 machines, has support for spanning
   filesystems across multiple disks.  It does this deep down in the kernal
   so that to filesystem sees the multiple disks as a single volume.  It
   actually has support for quite a few tricks including disk mirroring.
   How much of this is actually usable right now I don't know, but supposedly
   it does work.

Now this would be really funny. All versions of AIX I had the lack of
pleasure of having to use so far had quite the opposite problem:

        No files larger that 4 MBytes

Trting to transfer large files like e.g. the emacs source to port it
a.s.o. required me to place the archive on another nearby machine,
split it in 2, transfer the parts and the reassemble all files in
a directory on the Risc System 6000.

Possibly this has been fixed in the later releases. Having files span
filesystems won't do you much good unless you can use large files.

Note: AIX really isn't comp.unix.large, so I have changed the direction
of this thread to comp.unix.aix.

        Carl Edman

Theorectical Physicist,N.:A physicist whose  | Send mail
existence is postulated, to make the numbers |  to
balance but who is never actually observed   | cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu
in the laboratory.                           | edmanc@uciph0.ps.uci.edu

richard@locus.com (Richard M. Mathews) (11/12/90)

cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) writes:

>Now this would be really funny. All versions of AIX I had the lack of
>pleasure of having to use so far had quite the opposite problem:

>        No files larger that 4 MBytes

(The referenced message had "Followup-To: comp.unix.aix", but it would be
unfair for this incorrect claim to go uncorrected in comp.unix.large)

AIX (at least the versions with with I am familiar) has a default ulimit of
4 MB.  This can be changed on a per system, per user, or per process basis
(but, of course, only a root process can increase its limit).  Ulimit goes
way, way back in the history of Unix and is not specific to AIX.

Richard M. Mathews			Freedom for Lithuania
Locus Computing Corporation		       Laisve!
richard@locus.com
lcc!richard@seas.ucla.edu
...!{uunet|ucla-se|turnkey}!lcc!richard

news@usenet.ins.cwru.edu (11/13/90)

In article <CEDMAN.90Nov10200403@lynx.ps.uci.edu> cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) writes:

>Now this would be really funny. All versions of AIX I had the lack of
>pleasure of having to use so far had quite the opposite problem:
>
>        No files larger that 4 MBytes

This is not a file system problem.  It is a problem with ulimit.  Either the
default limit for file size is 4M or somewhere in one of the AIX 3.1
startup files there is a `ulimit' command setting it.

Either change this line to some higher limit, or add a line to do it.

Chet
--
Chet Ramey				``I die, Horatio''
Network Services Group, Case Western Reserve University

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (11/20/90)

In article <CEDMAN.90Nov10200403@lynx.ps.uci.edu>,
cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) writes:
Carl> Now this would be really funny. All versions of AIX I had the
Carl> lack of
Carl> pleasure of having to use so far had quite the opposite problem:
Carl>         No files larger that 4 MBytes
Carl> Trting to transfer large files like e.g. the emacs source to
Carl> port it a.s.o. required me to place the archive on another
Carl> nearby machine, split it in 2, transfer the parts and the
Carl> reassemble all files in a directory on the Risc System 6000.

Carl> Possibly this has been fixed in the later releases. Having files
Carl> span filesystems won't do you much good unless you can use large
Carl> files.

Sounds like you never bothered to bump your default filesize limit
(see ulimit under sh/ksh, or use users in AIX 2.2.1/RT or SMIT change
users options in AIX 3.1) up. I have never had anoy problems with >4MB
files. In anycase, I have had quite a few >4MB files under AIX
2.2.1/RT and AIX 3.1.

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +