[comp.unix.aix] DBMS on RS/6000

spuhler@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Tom Spuhler) (11/10/90)

Anyone know which DBMS will work on the RS/6000?  We have heard of trouble with some.  Anyone with experience with any care to share their experiences?
-Tom Spuhler

bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) (11/16/90)

Article <9530001@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com> by spuhler@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Tom Spuhler) says:
|Anyone know which DBMS will work on the RS/6000?
In a hope not to be flamed for advertising, I will shortly say that Oracle is
available, but please contact you Oracle representative for any further info.
--
Bjorn Engsig,         E-mail: bengsig@oracle.com, bengsig@oracle.nl
ORACLE Corporation    Path:   uunet!orcenl!bengsig

            "Stepping in others footsteps, doesn't bring you ahead"

eddjp@edi386.UUCP ( Dewey Paciaffi ) (11/16/90)

In article <9530001@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com> spuhler@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Tom Spuhler) writes:
>Anyone know which DBMS will work on the RS/6000?  We have heard of trouble with some.  Anyone with experience with any care to share their experiences?
>-Tom Spuhler

We're currently running "Limited Production" Oracle on our 6000. (Limited
Production means it came without manuals :-). The database is on a 320
and we currently have about 200 MB of data on-line. It's been stable.
There have been a couple of minor bugs, but nothing significant.

The application we're running has been migrated from our 3090 mainframe
(model ?? -- 2 cpus ). We have early results showing respectable
performance of the 6000 compared with the 3090. ( 3090 -> 25% loaded,
6000 -> 2 users )

We'll have better data in a month or two, as other applications are moved
onto the 6000. In summary, the RDBMS has been running well, we're having
good luck with it so far.
--
Dewey Paciaffi           ...!uunet!edi386!eddjp

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (11/17/90)

spuhler@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Tom Spuhler) writes:

>Anyone know which DBMS will work on the RS/6000?  We have heard of trouble with some.  Anyone with experience with any care to share their experiences?
>-Tom Spuhler

We've used Informix a LITTLE.  It seems to work correctly.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

Soon to become {emory,gatech}!nanovx!dbses0!kevin  (But not yet!)

richieb@bony1.uucp (Richard Bielak) (11/19/90)

>Article <9530001@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com> by spuhler@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Tom Spuhler) says:
>|Anyone know which DBMS will work on the RS/6000?

Sybase is available on RISC/6000. I have seen it demoed at IBM's
office. We also received the tapes last week, although we did not
install it.

...richie

|| Richie Bielak  (212)-815-3072      |  If a thousand people say a foolish  |
|| USENET:        richieb@bony.com    |  thing, it's still a foolish thing.  |

tma@progress.COM (Tim Atchison) (11/21/90)

bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) writes:

>Article <9530001@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com> by spuhler@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Tom Spuhler) says:
>|Anyone know which DBMS will work on the RS/6000?
>In a hope not to be flamed for advertising, I will shortly say that Oracle is
>available, but please contact you Oracle representative for any further info.
>--
>Bjorn Engsig,         E-mail: bengsig@oracle.com, bengsig@oracle.nl
>ORACLE Corporation    Path:   uunet!orcenl!bengsig

>            "Stepping in others footsteps, doesn't bring you ahead"

I have ported both version 5 and version 6 of PROGRESS to the RS/6000 and I
am positive that V5 is commercial and that V6 is either available as a
pre-release or ready to be shipped shortly.  In fact, our V6 product supports
X-Windows ! If you are interested, contact our pre-sales department at
617-275-4500 or 1-800-FAST-4-GL, or reply to me by email and I'll make sure
someone gets back to you.

Timothy M. Atchison			UUCP: mit-eddie!progress!tma
Progress Software Corp.		    	Internet: tma@progress.com
5 Oak Park
Bedford, MA  01730