[comp.unix.aix] The C preprocessor

schales@photon.tamu.edu (Douglas Lee Schales) (11/22/90)

Is there any way to get the C preprocessor in AIX 3.0 to allow the following
through:

/**/#########

Currently, it ignores the comments and tries to process the #'s  as a
directive.  I've tried -qlanglvl={ansi,saal2,saa,extended} and they all
give the same response.  Any suggestions?

Doug.
--------
Douglas Lee Schales
schales@cs.tamu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science
Texas A&M University

lindner@cs.umn.edu (Paul Lindner) (11/22/90)

In <SCHALES.90Nov21104338@photon.tamu.edu> schales@photon.tamu.edu (Douglas Lee Schales) writes:

>Is there any way to get the C preprocessor in AIX 3.0 to allow the following
>through:

>/**/#########

>Currently, it ignores the comments and tries to process the #'s  as a
>directive.  I've tried -qlanglvl={ansi,saal2,saa,extended} and they all
>give the same response.  Any suggestions?

Aha, sounds like you've ported X11R4 imake.  I had this problem too.
I'm not sure of the solution.  (When I made my vain attempt at porting
R4, I just deleted as many lines with /**/ as I could.   I wonder how
IBM did it for their version of imake?

--
Paul Lindner, Univ. of MN   \ Microcomputer /  Pauls Law: You can't
IT Sun dude, & UofM ACM pres \ Workstation / fall off the floor.

boote@bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu (Jeff W. Boote) (11/22/90)

In article <SCHALES.90Nov21104338@photon.tamu.edu>, schales@photon.tamu.edu (Douglas Lee Schales) writes:
> Is there any way to get the C preprocessor in AIX 3.0 to allow the following
> through:
>
> /**/#########

Try using the cpp /usr/lpp/X11/Xamples/util/cpp/cpp*

jeff

--
Jeff W. Boote                   SCD/NCAR
boote@ncar.ucar.edu           Boulder, Colo

gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone) (11/24/90)

lindner@cs.umn.edu (Paul Lindner) writes:
> schales@photon.tamu.edu (Douglas Lee Schales) writes:
>>Is there any way to get the C preprocessor in AIX 3.0 to allow the following

>>/**/#########

>>it ignores the comments and tries to process the #'s as a directive.

>Aha, sounds like you've ported X11R4 imake.  I had this problem too.
>I'm not sure of the solution.....  I wonder how IBM did it .... ?

Go look.  The sources for IBM's Imake are buried in /usr/lpp/X11
with the development package....  There is also a directive you can
give the compiler to make it use /lib/cpp instead of the built-in
preprocessor wired into xlc.

   "Use the force --
    Read the Source"
        old Unix adage, still valid for this third
        generation apprentice guru

e-mail me for more hints....

-- Glenn R. Stone
gs26@prism.gatech.edu