[comp.unix.aix] Quotas do they exist ?

carl@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Carl Lewis) (11/22/90)

Ok I give up, does Aix (3.1) have quotas. Some routines return error
on exceeding quota, but I really get the feeling this is a hangover
from older documentation .

Does there exist a quota system , and if so what marvellous acronym,
psuedonym or just incorrect labelling have IBM lumbered it with ?

Thanks a lot,
Carl.

--

Snail:  Computer Science Dept., University of Tasmania,
        GPO Box 252C, Hobart, TAS, 7001, Australia.

jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) (11/24/90)

In article <carl.659244255@probitas> carl@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Carl Lewis) writes:
>Ok I give up, does Aix (3.1) have quotas. Some routines return error
>on exceeding quota, but I really get the feeling this is a hangover
>from older documentation .

AIX v3.1 DOES NOT support the quota from Berkley.  I have not seen the routines
that report that quota has been exceeded, but I would be curious in finding out
what routines do this.

>Thanks a lot,
>Carl.

Your welcome,

jerry heyman

>--
>
>Snail:  Computer Science Dept., University of Tasmania,
>        GPO Box 252C, Hobart, TAS, 7001, Australia.
>AARN : carl@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au

--
Jerry Heyman                     IBM T-R: jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com
AWD Tools Development            VNET   : HEYMAN at AUSVMQ

carl@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Carl Lewis) (11/26/90)

In <4317@awdprime.UUCP> jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) writes:

>In article <carl.659244255@probitas> carl@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Carl Lewis) writes:
>>Ok I give up, does Aix (3.1) have quotas. Some routines return error
>>on exceeding quota, but I really get the feeling this is a hangover
>>from older documentation .
>>

>AIX v3.1 DOES NOT support the quota from Berkley.  I have not seen the routines
>that report that quota has been exceeded, but I would be curious in finding out
>what routines do this.

The open, openx, creat, rename, link, mkdir, symlink, mknod, mkfifo
routines all come up under an info search for quota. All the ones I've
looked at return EDQUOT on exceeding quota !!!.  Since you've
confirmed our suspicions that quotas do not exist it would be
interesting to find out where the EDQUOT hangover is from :-)

Replying with a post, 'cos as lots of people have noted, the mail still bounces!

>>Thanks a lot,
>>Carl.
>
>Your welcome,
>
>jerry heyman
>>
>--
>Jerry Heyman                     IBM T-R: jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com
>AWD Tools Development            VNET   : HEYMAN at AUSVMQ
>AWD Austin                       T/L    : 793-3962
>*** All opinions expressed are exactly that - my opinions and NOT IBM's

--

Snail:  Computer Science Dept., University of Tasmania,
        GPO Box 252C, Hobart, TAS, 7001, Australia.
AARN : carl@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au

jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) (11/27/90)

In article <carl.659576268@probitas> carl@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Carl Lewis) writes:

[... discussion of whether or not quota command exists where I asked for
     examples of where this was being returned ...]

>The open, openx, creat, rename, link, mkdir, symlink, mknod, mkfifo
>routines all come up under an info search for quota. All the ones I've
>looked at return EDQUOT on exceeding quota !!!.  Since you've
>confirmed our suspicions that quotas do not exist it would be
>interesting to find out where the EDQUOT hangover is from :-)

Since I'm unfamiliar with the interanlas of any of the subroutines that you
mention, I looked up 'mkdir' in info.  While its true that EDQUOT can be an
error from that call, you will see that it is returned for one of two reasons:
the first would be for exceeding disk quota (which AIX v3.1 does not support);
the second is if i-nodes become exhausted for a particular filesystem.

The only other possible reason would be for compatability for code ported from
BSD that expects that as a possible return.

>Replying with a post, 'cos as lots of people have noted, the mail still bounces!

I know, and we're slowly trying to resolve that. :-)

jerry
--

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (11/27/90)

In article <4317@awdprime.UUCP> jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) writes:
>In article <carl.659244255@probitas> carl@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Carl Lewis) writes:
>>Ok I give up, does Aix (3.1) have quotas. Some routines return error
>>on exceeding quota, but I really get the feeling this is a hangover
>>from older documentation .
>
>AIX v3.1 DOES NOT support the quota from Berkley.  I have not seen the routines
>that report that quota has been exceeded, but I would be curious in finding out
>what routines do this.

OK, this is the real meal deal.

The security department was responsible for porting/implementing the
BSD-style quota mechanisms.  For reasons not worth going into, that
functionality was not put in AIX v3.1, but is/was scheduled to appear
in a "future" release, whatever that means (I don't speak for IBM,
that's one thing it means ;-).

You will =never= get EQUOTA or whatever returned from a system call
because you ran out of file system space or any other resource.  I've
never tried to run out of CPU time, but I seem to recall that the
CPU time limit is also not enforced.

As others have pointed out, there are a number of attributes in
/etc/security/limits which are documented as not being used.  Yup,
they aren't used.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson

>While its true that EDQUOT can be an error from that call, you will
>see that it is returned for one of two reasons: the first would be
>for exceeding disk quota (which AIX v3.1 does not support);
>the second is if i-nodes become exhausted for a particular filesystem.

So fix it to return ENOSPC if inodes become exhausted, instead of
EDQUOT, both for compatibility with the 4.3BSD file system code and the
System V file system code (both of which return ENOSPC if you run out of
inodes, which means that behavior probably dates back to time
immemorial), and to prevent people from getting confused into thinking
AIX 3.x supports quotas just because it incorrectly returns EDQUOT when
you run out of inodes (rather than running out of your inode *quota* -
the BSD file system returns EDQUOT when that happens).