[comp.unix.aix] Importing existing passwd and group file to aix 3.1

ldm@texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) (11/28/90)

 We have aquired an rs6000. We would like to be able to copy our existing
 password file over to the system and have it work. (We distribute a
 master password file to our yp domains, and the RS-6000 should set
 in a different domain than everyone else). When one copies the password
 file over one can log in as a user but an error message is created about
 being unable to set terminal permission and the user is logged off.
 Trying via telent yields similar results and a message that the
 connection was closed.

 A second related question. We have a central administration for uid's.
 If one creates a user using SMIT how can one set the uid for the user
 short of going thru the change user mechanism?

 Thank you for your help.

bware@slate.mines.colorado.edu (Bob Ware 209 Green C 2733987) (11/29/90)

In article <532@texhrc.UUCP> ldm@texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) writes:

> We have aquired an rs6000. We would like to be able to copy our existing
> password file over to the system and have it work. (We distribute a
> If one creates a user using SMIT how can one set the uid for the user
> short of going thru the change user mechanism?

We recently worked through similar problems.  (Just met with IBM people
today and made them aware of the problems.)

There is no way to set the uid short of the chuser program (or smit).
The easiest way to transfer users from a non-RS/6000 system is to
write shell a script that will extract the informatin from the old
passwd file and then use mkuser, chuser, etc to create the accounts.
The encrypted password fields will work ok, but must be added to
/etc/secuity/passwd manually, or with a shell script (there is no
AIX utility to do it on a batch of accounts).

We have a system with a central user data base that contains a record
for each user on campus that is allowed to have a login on general
campus machines.  Local software reads that data base and creates
an account on the RS/6000 when the person logs in as 'newuser' and
supplies requested information.  The software basically does system
calls to execute programs like chuser to set up the account.

If you are adding a large number of users, watch out for the /etc/group
file.  Each user MUST be in a named group, but you may not be able to
put them all in the same named group.  The system gets real sick
when a line in /etc/group execeeds 4096 bytes in length (it happened here),
so we had to create a number of groups and distribute the users among them.

Good luck.

Bob Ware, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Co 80401, USA
(303) 273-3987
bware@slate.mines.colorado.edu bware@mines.colorado.edu bware@mines.bitnet
--
bware@mines.colorado.edu bware@mines.bitnet isis!csm9a!bware

teexand@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Andrew Dawson) (11/29/90)

In <532@texhrc.UUCP> ldm@texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) writes:

> ...... When one copies the password
> file over one can log in as a user but an error message is created about
> being unable to set terminal permission and the user is logged off.
> Trying via telent yields similar results and a message that the
> connection was closed.

We had this problem once. It was caused by a blank line at the top of
/etc/group. It may be worth checking for something silly like this.

> A second related question. We have a central administration for uid's.
> If one creates a user using SMIT how can one set the uid for the user
> short of going thru the change user mechanism?

This is quite difficult. SMIT seems to allocate uid's on a next free basis.
I think there is a file in /etc/security (.ids ???) containing the next number
to allocate. You may be able to edit this just before running smit mkuser.

--
Andrew Dawson, Computer Centre, University College London, Gower Street,
London WC1E 6BT, England.

jfh@greenber.austin.ibm.com (John F. Haugh II) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.095750.24464@ioe.lon.ac.uk> teexand@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Andrew Dawson) writes:
>In <532@texhrc.UUCP> ldm@texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) writes:
>> A second related question. We have a central administration for uid's.
>> If one creates a user using SMIT how can one set the uid for the user
>> short of going thru the change user mechanism?
>
>This is quite difficult. SMIT seems to allocate uid's on a next free basis.
>I think there is a file in /etc/security (.ids ???) containing the next number
>to allocate. You may be able to edit this just before running smit mkuser.

I changed the "Add A User" SMIT panel because there were so many
requests for this functionality.  The "new" answer to this problem
is to call the 800 number and get the latest level of the code
for SMIT and MKUSER.  With that update you will get a new SMIT
dialog for "Add A User" and a new version of MKUSER which supports
the "id=###" option.

The new SMIT panel gives you the option to set just about everything
that CHUSER gave you access to.
--
John F. Haugh II       | This space intentionally |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4330
SneakerNet: 809/1C079  |      left blank ...      |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ

jfh@greenber.austin.ibm.com (John F. Haugh II) (11/30/90)

In article <532@texhrc.UUCP> ldm@texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) writes:
> We have aquired an rs6000. We would like to be able to copy our existing
> password file over to the system and have it work. (We distribute a
> master password file to our yp domains, and the RS-6000 should set
> in a different domain than everyone else). When one copies the password
> file over one can log in as a user but an error message is created about
> being unable to set terminal permission and the user is logged off.
> Trying via telent yields similar results and a message that the
> connection was closed.

There are three commands for checking the correctness of your
password and group files.  They are PWDCK, GRPCK, and USRCK.
Chances are your password file contains referencs to group IDs
which don't exist in your group file or that the files in
/etc/security are out of date.

Most likely your /etc/group file is missing entries that
are needed for the users you are trying to login as.  There
must be a group which corresponds to the GID in the /etc/passwd
file for each user.

Your other comments lead me to believe that you are running an
older version of AIX v3.1 and need to contact your SE to get
the latest update.
--

boote@bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu (Jeff W. Boote) (11/30/90)

In <532@texhrc.UUCP> ldm@texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) writes:
> A second related question. We have a central administration for uid's.
> If one creates a user using SMIT how can one set the uid for the user
> short of going thru the change user mechanism?

Try getting the 3002 updates.  Smit now allows you to specify all kinds of
initial settings for new users instead of making you change them after
they are created.

--
Jeff W. Boote                   SCD/NCAR
boote@ncar.ucar.edu           Boulder, Colo

bware@slate.mines.colorado.edu (Bob Ware 209 Green C 2733987) (12/04/90)

We just got 3002 installed on one of our 930's, and sure enough, mkuser
now lets you set uid's, etc.

One thing we noticed, however, is that you cannot do mkuser -a
plus other attributes.  If you set uid, etc, then do not do
mkuser -a.