[comp.unix.aix] Max # of procceses on RS6000

marcc@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Marc Cooper) (12/04/90)

Ok, unsubstantiated rumor time...

I have heard that running AIX 3.1 (I think that's the right number) on an
RS6000 530, there is an undocumented "feature."  Namely, that there is a
maximum number of processes that can be running simultaneously.  I am
NOT alking about maxuproc, which, by default, is 40.  That only controls how
many processes each user might run.  I'm talking ALL processes, total!

The way I hear it, if the unspecified max number is exceeded, the machine
will start killing off the most resource hogging jobs, which in my case
happen to belong to a research chemist who would be VERY upset if
his calculations started dying.

Is there a maximum nimber of total processes the 6000 can handle?  If so,
what is that number?  And what happnes when you try to exceed it?

--
Marc Cooper		| "In my childhood, I WAS an imaginary playmate."
marcc@ncsa.uiuc.edu	|	-Tom Robbins, EVEN GOWGIRLS GET THE BLUES

Disclaimer:	"It's mine! All mine!"  -D. Duck

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec3.162921.27676@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> marcc@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Marc Cooper) writes:
>Is there a maximum nimber of total processes the 6000 can handle?  If so,
>what is that number?  And what happnes when you try to exceed it?

it is somewheres around 131,072.  i've run about 1,200 or more processes
on one at a time and it works just fine.  a little slow ;-), but still
just fine.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org