[comp.unix.aix] AIX 3.1 RPC Messages

fred@network.ucsd.edu (Fred Criscuolo) (12/01/90)

I am new to this newsgroup, so I apologize if this issue has been
addressed previously.  I have an RS/6000 Model 320 with AIX 3.1 and
the following messages keep popping up on my console every few minutes.
There are other RS/6000s on campus, none of which are experiencing this
problem.  Any ideas on how to fix this will be appreciated.
The first message is:
   Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
   rpc.statd: unable to register (SM_PROG, SM_VERS, udp).
The second message is:
    Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
    unable to register (NLM_PROG, NLM_VERS, tcp).
Thanks in advance.

Fred Criscuolo
fcriscuo@ucsd.edu
(619) 534-8547

rudy@chukran.austin.ibm.com (12/04/90)

Your NFS lock daemon and lock status daemons are having trouble conversing.

Check that the portmap, rpc.statd, and rpc.lockd are running on both
client and server hosts.  On the 6000, the command "lssrc -a" will
give you status on these daemons.
IBM AIX Porting Center  | RSCS: CHUKRAN at AUSTIN
11400 Burnet Rd.        | AWDnet: rudy@chukran.austin.ibm.com
Internal ZIP 2830       | internet: chukran@austin.iinus1.ibm.com
Austin, Texas 78758     | Voice: 512-838-4674  Tieline: 678-4674

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (12/05/90)

In article <4124@network.ucsd.edu>, fred@network.ucsd.edu (Fred Criscuolo) writes:
> I am new to this newsgroup, so I apologize if this issue has been
> addressed previously.  I have an RS/6000 Model 320 with AIX 3.1 and
> the following messages keep popping up on my console every few minutes.
> There are other RS/6000s on campus, none of which are experiencing this
> problem.  Any ideas on how to fix this will be appreciated.
> The first message is:
>    Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
>    rpc.statd: unable to register (SM_PROG, SM_VERS, udp).
> The second message is:
>     Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
>     unable to register (NLM_PROG, NLM_VERS, tcp).
> Thanks in advance.

I ran into this problem earlier this week on an Ultrix box.  You need
to have the program /usr/etc/portmap running.  It translates RPC service
numbers to Internet port numbers.  There is a line in the /etc/rc.tcpip
which says

	start /usr/etc/portmap "$src_running"

Presumably, something in SMIT adds this line.

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #5:             pemurray@miavx1.bitnet
176 Thompson Hall    sh> drink <bottle; opener    pmurray@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu