[comp.unix.aix] MAXPROCS in AIX 3.1 - or other limit

meo@chevpyr.chevron.com (Mike E. Osborne) (11/29/90)

Anyone out there know where to find the max number of processes
per user (MAXPROCS in other AIX versions) in AIX 3.1 ?
We seem to hit a limit of about 40 processes for users other than
root and don't seem able to find any place to fix it.
(40 is a small number for X applications)
((yes we have looked in info, tried various limits, SMIT, etc.))

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike Osborne
meo@chevron.com

--
Mike Osborne				Mail: meo@chevron.com
Chevron Oil Field Research Co

matt@mathew.austin.ibm.com (Mathew Accapadi;3-3517) (11/30/90)

In article <659@chevpyr.chevron.com> meo@chevron.com  (Mike E. Osborne) writes:
>Anyone out there know where to find the max number of processes
>per user (MAXPROCS in other AIX versions) in AIX 3.1 ?
>We seem to hit a limit of about 40 processes for users other than
>root and don't seem able to find any place to fix it.
>(40 is a small number for X applications)
>((yes we have looked in info, tried various limits, SMIT, etc.))

The maximum number of processes for users is defined by the "maxuproc"
attribute for the sys0 device.  To list the attributes, you could do
something like "lsattr -E -l sys0".  To change the max number of
processes, execute "chdev -l sys0 -a maxuproc=xxx" where xxx is the
number you want to set it to.  I suppose you could do this with smit also.

Mathew Accapadi
...cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!mathew.austin.ibm.com!matt

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (11/30/90)

In article <659@chevpyr.chevron.com>, meo@chevpyr.chevron.com (Mike E.
Osborne) writes:
Mike> Anyone out there know where to find the max number of processes
Mike> per user (MAXPROCS in other AIX versions) in AIX 3.1 ?  We seem
Mike> to hit a limit of about 40 processes for users other than root
Mike> and don't seem able to find any place to fix it.  (40 is a small
Mike> number for X applications) ((yes we have looked in info, tried
Mike> various limits, SMIT, etc.))

Not exactly the most documented thing, but here it is:

lsattr -E -l sys0

to show the current system attributes...

To change:

chdev -l sys0 -a maxuproc=<num>

where <num> is the number you want to set it to...  This was discussed
in this newsgroup quit a few months ago in case you have this group
archived...

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

frank@ulticorp.UUCP (Frank Cannavale III/1024000) (12/04/90)

In article <659@chevpyr.chevron.com> meo@chevron.com  (Mike E. Osborne) writes:
>Anyone out there know where to find the max number of processes
>per user (MAXPROCS in other AIX versions) in AIX 3.1 ?

Yes, maxuproc is configured into the 'system' device sys0.

>We seem to hit a limit of about 40 processes for users other than
>root and don't seem able to find any place to fix it.

Enter, at superuser level, lsattr -H -E -l sys0 to display
parameters and values

>(40 is a small number for X applications)

maxuproc default is 40...

>((yes we have looked in info, tried various limits, SMIT, etc.))

Funny, it's not there. I checked too. However, the documentation
for lsattr is available, just nothing much on sys0.

Use chdev to change the parameters. For example:
chdev -l sys0 -a maxuproc=NNN    You know what to do for NNN :)

Obviously, you can do this (lsattr & chdev) to all devices.
--
Frank Cannavale III !uunet!ulticorp!frank   The Ultimate Corp, E.  Hanover, NJ
"The Social Democratic government on Friday began dismantling the welfare state

jensen@adobe.com (Freddy Jensen) (12/06/90)

In article <659@chevpyr.chevron.com> meo@chevron.com  (Mike E. Osborne) writes:
>Anyone out there know where to find the max number of processes
>per user (MAXPROCS in other AIX versions) in AIX 3.1 ?
>We seem to hit a limit of about 40 processes for users other than
>root and don't seem able to find any place to fix it.
>(40 is a small number for X applications)
>((yes we have looked in info, tried various limits, SMIT, etc.))
>
>Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi Folks,

   I have frequently run out of process slots on my RS/6000.  The reason is
   that I run X windows with *MANY* windows.  I called IBM, and got this answer:

   To look at the system configuration, become root and type:

    lsattr -E -l sys0

   You will see  that  maxuproc is 40 (max 40 processes per user).

   AIX allows you to change that  without rebuilding the kernel, or even rebooting.

   Just do:

    chdev -l sys0 -a maxuproc=80

   And  voila!  you can now run 80 processes per user.

   If you start running low on paging space,  send me email and I'll tell you
   how to increase it  (again without rebuilding or rebooting).

Freddy

-------------
Freddy Jensen
Display Postscript Group
Adobe Systems Incorporated
1585 Charleston Road, P.O. Box 7900
Mountain View, CA 94039-7900
Internet: jensen@adobe.com
          adobe!jensen@sun.com
          adobe!jensen@decwrl.dec.com
uucp:     ...!{decwrl,sun,uunet,apple}!adobe!jensen
phone:    (415) 962-3869 / 961-4400