[comp.unix.aix] What is the latest X version on ps2 ?

picard@ilog.UUCP (Yves Picard) (12/04/90)

	hello netters,

I have a ps2 running aix, and i'd like to know what is the latest
version of X11 running on this machine.

My os is: AIX 1.2, and xdpyinfo Give the following:
which i suspect is somehow between X11r2(mit) and X11r3(mit)
name of display:    valeo:0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    International Business Machines
vendor release number:    30210
maximum request size:  16384 longwords (65536 bytes)
motion buffer size:  0
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    8, MSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    LSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    2
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 8, maximum 141
number of extensions:    5
    ZoidExtension
    bezier
    XTestExtension1
    SHAPE
    XsightExtension
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1024x768 pixels (325x243 millimeters)
  resolution:    80x80 dots per inch
  depths (2):    1, 8
  root window id:    0x80067
  depth of root window:    8 planes
  number of colormaps:    minimum 0, maximum 1
  default colormap:    0x80065
  default number of colormap cells:    256
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 1
  current input event mask:    0x118800c
    ButtonPressMask          ButtonReleaseMask        ExposureMask
    SubstructureNotifyMask   SubstructureRedirectMask OwnerGrabButtonMask
  number of visuals:    1
  default visual id:  0x80064
  visual:
    visual id:    0x80064
    class:    PseudoColor
    depth:    8 planes
    size of colormap:    256 entries
    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits

any help appreciated.

	Jean Yves

picard@ilog.fr

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (12/05/90)

Speaking of which, what is the "XsightExtension"?  Also, we are running
the MIT X11R4 server in preference to the IBM server, and things are working
well, but when someone starts DOS in an X-window, there are problems
opening the "dos6x13" font even though we have it (in a native X11R4 snf
format).  Is there anything that DOS Merge is doing which would cause a
font lookup to fail??

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

richp@romulus.la.locus.com (Richard L. Pettit Jr.) (12/05/90)

In article <10383@ilog.UUCP> picard@ilog.UUCP (Yves Picard) writes:

>	hello netters,
>
>I have a ps2 running aix, and i'd like to know what is the latest
>version of X11 running on this machine.

X11R3.  To the best of my knowledge, all of the official patches (to R3)
have been applied (we picked up support from IBM after release of R4).
You will however still see some things going back as far as X10R4
(aixterm and xclock for instance).

DISCLAIMER:  You have just read not-certified-by-Locus-or-IBM text.

Rich
----
              Richard Pettit                       Locus Computing Corp.
                                richp@locus.com
        "Opinions expressed herein are of the author, not (LCC or IBM)"

In article <5197@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) writes:
>Speaking of which, what is the "XsightExtension"?  Also, we are running

Xsight is the name of the commercial X product sold by Locus.  You'll also
see it on SCO Open Desktop.  The PC version is called (could you guess?)
PC-Xsight.  The existence of XsightExtension in the AIX server hints at
involvement by Locus in the development of the X product.

>the MIT X11R4 server in preference to the IBM server, and things are working
>well, but when someone starts DOS in an X-window, there are problems
>opening the "dos6x13" font even though we have it (in a native X11R4 snf
>format).  Is there anything that DOS Merge is doing which would cause a
>font lookup to fail??

This is a "we don't support it yet" but if you send me the details of how
to reproduce it, I'll give it a shot.  I just ran the R4 server and brought
up dos with no problem, but I'm running a really odd software configuration.

>--
>Steve Dyer
>dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
>dyer@arktouros.mit.edu, dyer@hstbme.mit.edu

DISCLAIMER: See .signature

Rich
----

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (12/06/90)

In article <20301@oolong.la.locus.com> richp@romulus.UUCP (Richard L. Pettit Jr.) writes:
>The existence of XsightExtension in the AIX server hints at
>involvement by Locus in the development of the X product.

I know that.  What's it DO?  That's the question! :-)

>>but when someone starts DOS in an X-window, there are problems
>>opening the "dos6x13" font even though we have it (in a native X11R4 snf
>>format).  Is there anything that DOS Merge is doing which would cause a
>>font lookup to fail??
>This is a "we don't support it yet" but if you send me the details of how
>to reproduce it, I'll give it a shot.  I just ran the R4 server and brought
>up dos with no problem, but I'm running a really odd software configuration.

Well, the configuration is just as I said.

	1.) AIX PS/2 1.2 DOS Merge (but note: same problem occurred on PS/2 1.1)
	2.) MIT X11R4 PS/2 build with latest MIT patches

Setting the XMERGE environment var and running "dos" within an xterm
window, you get "can't open dos6x13 font, using server default".  I'll
bet it's a C compiler bug causing something untoward in the X11R4
server build.  You see, if I set my DISPLAY to an RT running AOS4.3
with the MIT server (and the X11R4 dos6x13 font installed on that
server) DOS pops up there fine with the correct DOS font.  I believe
the C compiler released with AIX 1.2 is still the AIX 1.1 C compiler, no?
It would not surprise me at all if you were using something later with this
(not-fully-characterized) bug fixed.

Anyway, that's one hypothesis.  I'd love to know what compiler you were
using to build the X11R4.

--

mandell@bach.helios.nd.edu (Dan Mandell) (12/06/90)

>Xsight is the name of the commercial X product sold by Locus.  You'll also
>see it on SCO Open Desktop.  The PC version is called (could you guess?)
>PC-Xsight.  The existence of XsightExtension in the AIX server hints at
>involvement by Locus in the development of the X product.

We will shortly be receiving our first RS/6000 and wish to know a good
source for Xwindows products for Dos machines.  Thanks, for all suggestions.

Dan Mandell
Saint Mary's College Computer Center
Internet: mandell@bach.helios.nd.edu

richp@romulus.la.locus.com (Richard L. Pettit Jr.) (12/07/90)

In article <5228@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) writes:
>In article <20301@oolong.la.locus.com> richp@romulus.UUCP (Richard L. Pettit Jr.) writes:
>>The existence of XsightExtension in the AIX server hints at
>>involvement by Locus in the development of the X product.
>
>I know that.  What's it DO?  That's the question! :-)

OS specific stuff.  IPC support; device queries.  It's not a lot of code.

>Setting the XMERGE environment var and running "dos" within an xterm

I said I have an odd software configuration.  I can't bring up an xterm
because it's an R3 xterm.  Won't work on the R4 server.  Therefore, I
just "open Xibm.R4" and then "setenv DISPLAY unix:0.0" and
"setenv XMERGE TRUE" and then "dos &".  Works fine for me.

>the C compiler released with AIX 1.2 is still the AIX 1.1 C compiler, no?

Yes.

>It would not surprise me at all if you were using something later with this

I got the server already-compiled from IBM Kingston.
I haven't the DASD for R4 source.