[comp.unix.aix] Updated

lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) (12/11/90)

I am pleased to announce the availability of a cleaned-up, slightly improved
set of files and mods for running GNU Emacs 18.55 under AIX 3.1.  The only
functional difference is that X-windows now works (albeit by using a kludge.)

The changes are available at byron.u.washington.edu (128.95.48.32) in the file
/pub/aix/RS6000/gnuemacs/emacs-aixV3.shar.Z.  (Note: this is a compressed shar
file.  Get the file in binary mode, uncompress it, and 'sh' it.) Note also
that you need the 'patch' utility to apply some of the changes.

The good news is that X-Windows works for as much as I use it.  I don't use X
features for much more than automatically starting up with xinit and using
the mouse to position the cursor.  The bad news is that I got it to work by
hardcoding X version 11 into lisp/term/x-win.el.  (For some reason the
variable 'window-system-version' does not get set properly.  Anybody with more
time want to fix it???  I already spent/wasted enough time trying to figure it
out.)

I am willing to answer questions about installation.  Sorry, but real problems
are beyond the scope of my experience.

Thanks to Eliot Lim for putting the file up, after I sent him about a half-dozen
different versions of the file.

(PS.  Don't ask about the dumping version.  I haven't gotten in touch with the
gentleman doing the work since before Thanksgiving.  Question to those in the
Southern Hemisphere - is it spring break time now???)

Steve

Steve Roseman
Lehigh University Computing Center
LUSGR@VAX1.CC.Lehigh.EDU

hucka@eecs.umich.edu (Michael Hucka) (12/11/90)

In article <113.2763ad4f@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu> lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) writes:
> Subject: Updated (w/X) GNU Emacs changes available
> Date: 10 Dec 90 20:44:15 GMT

> The good news is that X-Windows works for as much as I use it.  I don't use X
> features for much more than automatically starting up with xinit and using
> the mouse to position the cursor.  The bad news is that I got it to work by
> hardcoding X version 11 into lisp/term/x-win.el.  (For some reason the
> variable 'window-system-version' does not get set properly.  Anybody with more
> time want to fix it???  I already spent/wasted enough time trying to figure it
> out.)

I got Emacs running on an RS/6000 here, using the previous version of the
patches -- thanks very much to everyone who contributed them, by the way! --
and the X and mouse support seems to work fine so far.  Is the definition of
window-system-version the only change w.r.t. X/mouse support?  I worked
around the problem of window-system-version not being defined by modifying
x-mouse.el and term/x-win.el to test for window-system-version being non-nil
before attempting to use the value.  I.e., previously those files had 3 or 4
statements of the form
	(if (= window-system-version 11)
but the variable wasn't defined (which is curious, since it's plainly there
in x11term.c) and so it would complain about comparing nil to an integer.
Changing all statements of that form to
	(if (and window-system-version (= window-system-version 11))
fixed this.

I regret not having the time to investigate the problem with
window-system-version not being set properly, and so cannot offer help.

Mike
--
Mike Hucka                     | Internet: hucka@caen.engin.umich.edu
University of Michigan AI Lab  | 1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109