[fa.info-vax] SOURCE CODE DEVELOPMENT TOOL

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/04/85)

From: mattis@NBS-SDC

We are in need of a software package which can be used as an aid in
software development.  The package would maintain software modules,
possibly as contained in a text library and their object representations
in an object library.  The package would provide for editing and
compiling of source modules, ensuring that at link time all object
modules are derived from the most recent source modules.  The package
would run under VMS.  Before we create this ourselves, does anyone know
whether such a package exists at a good price (i.e., free), such as on
a Decus tape somewhere?

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/05/85)

From: Walt Lamia <LAMIA@DEC-MARLBORO.ARPA>

You might want to consider the CMS/MMS (Code Mgmt System/Module Mgmt System)
products from DEC.  They seem to have been generally well-received.

Walt
(not necessarily un-biased)
-------

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/06/85)

From: Sue_Soyring <sues%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

      In regards to the software tool for source code development,
you might look into a package by Oregon Software called SourceTools
(The Software Management System).  I don't know the price, but you
could contact them at (503)226-7760.  We have the product in house
now for evaluation so anything you find out about others would be
appreciated.

Sue Soyring
sues@ti-eg

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/06/85)

From: <bingham@ari-hq1>

	You should also check the facilities for source code control available
in the last several iterations of [.LBLTOOLS...] ([.SWTOOLS...] on the Spring
1984 tape) available on the DECUS VAX Systems SIG Symposia tapes.  The most
recent tape containing the SWTOOLS is the Spring 1984 tape.

	These tapes are available through your DECUS Local Users Group (LUG)
or from the DECUS Program Library.  The order number for the Spring 1984 tape
is V-SP-29.

joe bingham
VAX Systems SIG Librarian
------

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/06/85)

From: dyer%vaxuum.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Gweeping Gizzards!!!)

	I highly recommend DEC's MMS.  It works just like Unix's "make"
utility, and then some.  That is, it checks the dates of all the files and
recompiles only that which has changed.  It's very general-purpose, of course,
so it can be used for more than compiling and linking.  It also understands
things like text and object libraries.
	There's another DEC product called CMS that is useful if you've got
several developers per project and/or the project goes through several ver-
sions.  I've never used it because I work on all my projects alone and I've
never gotten past V1.0 on any of them (-: I don't make mistakes :-).
	MMS and CMS are designed so that they can work together.
	I'm afraid I don't know what they cost.  Since I work at DEC, they
let me use it for free!

	I once saw a tool called "USE" which (I believe) was copyrighted to
some college, so it may or may not be public domain.  It used command pro-
cedures with processing data hidden in comments like this:

		    $ cc MYFILE !?_!?% (or something like that)

It looked clever, but I never used it because MMS was available.  Perhaps
other Info-VAXers have heard of the tool?

	Again, I recommend MMS.  It's stable, mostly Unix-compatible, and
indispensible.  If your projects have several developers and go through
several versions, you should also look into CMS.
		<_Jym_>

:::::::::::::::: Jym Dyer
::::'  ::  `:::: Dracut, Massachusetts
::'    ::    `::
::     ::     :: DYER%VAXUUM.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
::   .::::.   :: {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vaxuum!dyer
::..:' :: `:..::
::::.  ::  .:::: Statements made in this article are my own; they might not
:::::::::::::::: reflect the views of |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| Equipment Corporation.

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/06/85)

From: Hwang.WBST@XEROX.ARPA

Virtual  Operating System (VOS) originally developed at UC Berkeley
seems to fit your description if you are a RATFOR lover.
The package is available under SWTOOLS in DECUS VAX84A.

Peter Hwang

ARPA: Hwang.wbst@XEROX.arpa
UUCP: {!allegra,seismo}!rochester!rocksvax!hwang
TEL: (716)422-8065

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/07/85)

From: William B. Warren <decvax!mcnc!unc!warren@BERKELEY>

Joe Bingham,

	This is Bill Warren down at the University of North Carolina at
Chapel Hill.  Send me a mail message if you get this.

						-Bill Warren

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/16/85)

From: hplabs!hao!boulder!boulder!jon@BERKELEY (Jon Corbet)

>	I once saw a tool called "USE" which (I believe) was copyrighted to
>some college, so it may or may not be public domain.  It used command pro-
>cedures with processing data hidden in comments like this:
>
>		    $ cc MYFILE !?_!?% (or something like that)
>
>It looked clever, but I never used it because MMS was available.  Perhaps
>other Info-VAXers have heard of the tool?

	USE was written by Ray Bovet at the National Center for Atmospheric
Research, and it is public domain.  It was on one of the old DECUS tapes,
although I can't remember which one.
	I have written my own tool, which I call "make" because I don't feel
like taking the time to think of a good name.  It functions similarly to the
UNIX version, but not completely; it is an original program and contains no
original source.  Most NCAR people are switching from USE to make, although
Ray is still holding out.
	If there is interest, I can distribute MAKE over usenet, but I have
no direct access to ARPA.  Let me know if I can help.

--
Jonathan Corbet
National Center for Atmospheric Research, Field Observing Facility

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/19/85)

From: decvax!mcnc!ncsu!ncvet!drf@BERKELEY (Dwight R. Frye)

If you could possibly post the code to the net or just
mail me a copy we would be forever in your debt. If
it is written in a language which we don't have a compiler
for, I can send you a tape. Please let me know if anything
can be worked out.

By the way, we only have Fortran and Macro running under
VAX/VMS 3.7.

Thanks in advance.

Dwight R. Frye
(919) 872-9500