[comp.unix.aix] XStation talking to RT

karish@mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) (12/22/90)

In article <F4Hiu2w163w@zitt>  writes:
|I've been banging my head against this for the past few days:
|
|I'm running an XStation 120, hooked up to a RS/6000. I do most of my
|work, however, using rlogin or tn into various RTs around the office.
|
|Anyway, what should I set TERM to on the RTs so that they can talk to my
|aixterm window correctly? I've tried "aixterm-m", but 2.2.1 doesn't seem
|to have heard of it ...
|
|I've probably missed something excruciatingly obvious.

Like, perhaps, copying /usr/lib/terminfo/a/aixterm-m from the
S/6000 to the RTs?
--

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (12/22/90)

In article <F4Hiu2w163w@zitt>,  writes:
Joe> Anyway, what should I set TERM to on the RTs so that they can
Joe> talk to my aixterm window correctly? I've tried "aixterm-m", but
Joe> 2.2.1 doesn't seem to have heard of it, and none of the other
Joe> options I've tried work well either. I'm reduced to using a 3151
Joe> (*bleah*) to get anything done.

Try ibm6154, ibm5151, or even just aixterm... They are all defined in
the standard terminfo files in /usr/lib/terminfo.

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

joe@zitt (Joe Zitt) (12/26/90)

karish@mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) writes:

> Like, perhaps, copying /usr/lib/terminfo/a/aixterm-m from the
> S/6000 to the RTs?

Thanks, I'll try it (I have just the blurriest concept of termcap, and
none whatsoever of terminfo).

Joe Zitt		...cs.utexas.edu!kvue!zitt!joe 		(512)450-1916

ericm@skate.awdpa.ibm.com (Eric Murray) (12/29/90)

In article <F4Hiu2w163w@zitt>  writes:
>Because I'm developing toold that have to run on these
>RTs, mostly using awk, and the awk on RT is so brain-damaged that
>developing awk code that works elsewhere, then porting it to the RT is
>useless. The mother-may-I OS strikes again...)

This may be totally obvious, but why don't you just port
Gnu awk (gawk) to the RTs?  Then you'd have something that
is (nearly) compatible with the awk on the 6000.
There are a few minor differences, the only one I can
remember is that the counter in a for-loop
has a be a single-character variable (i.e.:
	for (a in array) { ... }
This bug exists in gawk, at least on the BSD ports
we have, but it's not a big deal.
The awk on the RT is, as you've discovered, really old.

 eric murray           ericm@ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com          uunet!ibmsupt!ericm
 the lawyers make me say: this posting doesn't represent official ibm policy
"Mien Kampf- the mini-series!  Oliver North- patriotic hero!" -Jello Biafra