[fa.info-vax] TCP/IP on VMS

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/20/85)

From: sasaki@harvard.ARPA (Marty Sasaki)

We have been in touch with DEC trying to work out some sort of deal with
the new Ethernet boards and support and such. Basically, the board has
smarts and a fair amount of memory. DEC is initially planning to support
just DECNET on the board. When queried about possible TCP/IP support DEC
responded by saying that they weren't sure what they were doing.

When I read between the lines here, I get the impression that DEC
doesn't want to do TCP/IP, but hasn't really made a decision not to do
it. I suggest that everyone who thinks that DEC should do this should
call their salesman.

----------------
  Marty Sasaki				net:   sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}
  Havard University Science Center	phone: 617-495-1270
  One Oxford Street
  Cambridge, MA 02138

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/20/85)

From: rad@Mitre-Bedford

> DEC is initially planning to support
>just DECNET on the board. When queried about possible TCP/IP support DEC
>responded by saying that they weren't sure what they were doing.

>When I read between the lines here, I get the impression that DEC
>doesn't want to do TCP/IP, but hasn't really made a decision not to do
>it. I suggest that everyone who thinks that DEC should do this should
>call their salesman.

     Hmmm, our DEC salesman drug The Wollongong Group through the door
to talk to us about TWG's TCP/IP driver for VMS.  The stance that they
seemed to be taking was that DEC recommends the TWG TCP/IP system.  (By
the way, TWG's code gives you a shared DEUNA driver; you can have both
DECNET and TCP/IP on the same Ethernet, on the same DEUNA.)

     I think that if you want to spend the time calling your DEC
salesman, try to pin him/her down on DEC's relationship with TWG and
whether it's a full-blown recommendation or just a stop-gap measure to
quiet the howls of protest from system administrators whose VMS
systems can't talk to their Unix systems when they share identical
(DEC) hardware.

Dick Dramstad
rad@mitre-bedford.arpa
(617) 271-2376
(Usual disclaimers here.)

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/20/85)

From: DGARBER@USC-ECL.ARPA

We recently encountered this TCP/IP on VAX/VMS problem.  There are three
reasonable approaches:  1. Try the FREE "Tektroinix" software that Kevin
at Hughes (KVC) has significantly improved. 2. Spend $35k for the
Wollongong software, or 3. Check into the Compion (Gould) package.
Number 1 is the most cost effective but Kevin will have to give a VMS 4.0
Status Report.  Wollonggong seems to work fine but you get a lot of
other UNIX stuff for your money.  I just contacted Interlan and the
Ethernet TCP/IP board scheduled for Q1/1985 is now Q3/1985.  It is a
great solution if you have time to wait.  I personally would not count
on DEC for this one, they seem to be confused about what they are doing.

                                      David Garber, DGARBER@ECLA
                                      Northrop Research Center
-------

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/20/85)

From: Bob <CP.PAVER@MCC.ARPA>

We're looking at Network Research Corp.'s implementation of TCP/IP.
Apparently it's a relatively new offering.  It's much cheaper than
the Wollongong software which is expenisve but less than the $35K
mentioned in a previous message.

Network Research software runs on Interlan boards.  The will
have/support an Ethernet TCP/IP board sometime in May.  (Wonder if
their board is "related" to the Interlan board expected in the
same time frame.

I don't know much more about NRC's offering.  Their address and
phone number are:

1101 Colorado Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

(213) 394-7200

Disclaimers:

We haven't made our final decision!

I have no connections to/with Network Research Corp.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Bob Paver	(512) 834-3316
Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corp. (MCC)
9430 Research Blvd, Echelon Building #1
Austin, TX  78759-6509

ARPA:  paver@mcc
UUCP:  {seismo ! ihnp4}!ut-sally!mcc-db!paver
-------

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/20/85)

From: Ron Natalie <ron@BRL-TGR.ARPA>

We've got the DSI/COMPION/GOULD package for VMS.  It works, but I'm
not really impressed by it.  The mail system is a little quirky and
I'm not sure, but it seems that the IMP driver does not keep track of
RFNM's.

-Ron

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/20/85)

From: Gail Rubin <grubin@bbn-spca>

We USED TO have the Compion package. We gave it up and got the
Wollongong version. What a change! We are extremely pleased with
what we have now - it is much better. It is faster and doesn't
have many of the unpleasant restrictions that the COmpion package had.
With the Compion version, if you were ftp'ing files FROM a VMS to another
machine, you could only do 1 at a time. THen you would have to
close the ftp connection and re-open it to do another file. Accessing
a system over the network gave burst-y response.

I have no information about any of the other packages mentioned.

-- Gail Rubin (grubin@bbn-spca or @bbn-unix)