[comp.unix.aix] Need help with elm 2.3 pl9 for the Risc-6000

fredrick@acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) (12/22/90)

I compiled elm2.3pl9 on the IBM Risc-System 6000 using the cc compiler
under AIX3.1.  When I try to run elm, I get the following message

    elm -z
    Failed trying to initialize your terminal entry:  unknown return code -3

Has anyone successfully ported elm2.3 to the IBM Risc-System 6000?  If so,
what did you change to avoid this problem?  Does anyone else have any
insight?

Tim Fredrick             National Center for Atmospheric Research
                         Atmospheric Chemistry Division
fredrick@ncar.ucar.edu   PO Box 3000
fredrick@ncar.CSNET      Boulder, CO 80307

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (12/22/90)

In article <9635@ncar.ucar.edu> fredrick@acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:
>I compiled elm2.3pl9 on the IBM Risc-System 6000 using the cc compiler
>under AIX3.1.  When I try to run elm, I get the following message
>
>    elm -z
>    Failed trying to initialize your terminal entry:  unknown return code -3
>
>Has anyone successfully ported elm2.3 to the IBM Risc-System 6000?  If so,
>what did you change to avoid this problem?  Does anyone else have any
>insight?

ELM 2.2PL16 compiled straight away, with very few changes if any.  The
source of the error you mentioned is that someone put the termcap file
in /lib/termcap/termcap.src or something like that.  A "find /lib -name
*termcap* -print" will find it for you.

Do the planet a favor and call Defect Support and open an APAR against
this problem.  The termcap file belongs in /etc/termcap, not some silly
hiding place.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American
 movie and TV stars. Stars like Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, and Bart Simpson."

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (12/22/90)

In article <9635@ncar.ucar.edu>, fredrick@acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:
Tim> I compiled elm2.3pl9 on the IBM Risc-System 6000 using the cc
Tim> compiler under AIX3.1.  When I try to run elm, I get the
Tim> following message

Tim>     elm -z Failed trying to initialize your terminal entry:
Tim> unknown return code -3

Tim> Has anyone successfully ported elm2.3 to the IBM Risc-System
Tim> 6000?  If so, what did you change to avoid this problem?  Does
Tim> anyone else have any insight?

Anyone volunteer to create a FAQ for this group yet? Anyhow, this one
came up originally six or seven months ago and more recently about a
month and a half ago. The solution is to make sure that -lcurses is
the only display library being linked into the executable in
src/Makefile. I believe -ltermcap gets put in automatically when you
run the configuration script. Again no source modifications are needed
for porting this program...

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

woan@iti.org (Ronald S. Woan Jr.) (12/23/90)

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
>ELM 2.2PL16 compiled straight away, with very few changes if any.  The
>source of the error you mentioned is that someone put the termcap file
>in /lib/termcap/termcap.src or something like that.  A "find /lib -name
>*termcap* -print" will find it for you.

Well this is unecessary as the curses library utilitizing terminfo
will work perfectly for elm (at least newer versions)...

>Do the planet a favor and call Defect Support and open an APAR against
>this problem.  The termcap file belongs in /etc/termcap, not some silly
>hiding place.

Good God! I didn't even realize that there was a termcap file! Thanks
for the info John...

jfh@greenber.austin.ibm.com (John F. Haugh II) (01/04/91)

In article <4621@awdprime.UUCP> woan@iti.org (Ronald S. Woan Jr.) writes:
|jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
|>Do the planet a favor and call Defect Support and open an APAR against
|>this problem.  The termcap file belongs in /etc/termcap, not some silly
|>hiding place.
|
|Good God! I didn't even realize that there was a termcap file! Thanks
|for the info John...

I'm BACK!  My, it was a nice little vacation ...

The /etc/termcap file is currently hiding in /lib/libtermcap/termcap.src.
HyperSearch says to use TERMINFO instead of TERMCAP, but for some people
that isn't the best answer.
--
John F. Haugh II       | This space intentionally |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4330
SneakerNet: 809/1C079  |      left blank ...      |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ