[comp.unix.aix] Static linking with ld

jensen@adobe.com (Freddy Jensen) (01/09/91)

Hi Folks,

   I have a question about the ld command on the RS/6000.

   ld  normally uses dynamic linking, when you build an
   executable.  This is fine; you save disk space and all
   that.  However,  I need occasionally to move my executable
   to other machines, and (for testing purposes) I would like
   to be able to link them  statically, so the program is self-
   contained and moveable.

   I have not been able to find an option (like Sun's -Bstatic)
   which can do that for me.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Freddy

-------------
Freddy Jensen
Display Postscript Group
Adobe Systems Incorporated
1585 Charleston Road, P.O. Box 7900
Mountain View, CA 94039-7900
email: jensen@adobe.com
       adobe!jensen@sun.com
       adobe!jensen@decwrl.dec.com
       ...!{decwrl,sun,uunet,apple}!adobe!jensen
phone: (415) 962-3869 / 961-4400

jsalter@slo.awdpa.ibm.com (01/09/91)

In article <9764@adobe.UUCP> jensen@adobe.COM () writes:
>   ld  normally uses dynamic linking, when you build an
>   executable.  This is fine; you save disk space and all
>   that.  However,  I need occasionally to move my executable
>   to other machines, and (for testing purposes) I would like
>   to be able to link them  statically, so the program is self-
>   contained and moveable.
>   I have not been able to find an option (like Sun's -Bstatic)
>   which can do that for me.

Look at the -bautoimp/noautoimp and -bimport options for ld.

>Freddy Jensen
>email: jensen@adobe.com

jim/jsalter  IBM AWD, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427   VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: jsalter@slo.awdpa.ibm.com         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
  PS/2 it, or DIE!  :-)  The ramblings above have nothing to do with Big Blue.