[comp.unix.aix] The "pcsim" command for a DOS environment ??

haines@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (Matt Haines) (01/10/91)

Hi all.

A friend of mine is trying to get some PC software running on our
AIX machine via the "pcsim" environment.  I have never heard of this,
and when I tried it, I was placed into the BASIC interpreter and
was not allowed to leave.  Commands like "system", "end", "stop"
seemed to have no effect.

So, does anyone know anything about pcsim?  Can you run DOS applications
under this thing?  Can you get to DOS commands, or are you stuck in the
BASIC interpreter?  BTW, the manual page is about as useful as ...

Thanks in advance or any help.
--Matt
--
Matt Haines <haines@cs.colostate.edu>   | "Why waste time learning when
Colorado State University, CS Dept.     |  ignorance is instantaneous"

jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) (01/10/91)

In article <12040@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> haines@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (Matt Haines) writes:
>Hi all.
>
>A friend of mine is trying to get some PC software running on our
>AIX machine via the "pcsim" environment.  I have never heard of this,
>and when I tried it, I was placed into the BASIC interpreter and
>was not allowed to leave.  Commands like "system", "end", "stop"
>seemed to have no effect.

The documentation for PCSIM is pretty extensive on how to set it up to run DOS
applications.  To begin with you will need to start pcsim with a DOS diskette
in the diskette drive using:  pcsim -A 3

You should also have TOUCHED a file prior to starting the pcsim so that you
can emulate a hard disk.  To do that execute the following commands:
                    touch filename
                    pcsim -A 3 -C filename

Then its just like you have a brand new AT.  You have to format the C drive,
copy DOS over to it, etc.  The documentation is better than what I've just
described.

>Thanks in advance or any help.
>--Matt
>--
>Matt Haines <haines@cs.colostate.edu>   | "Why waste time learning when
>Colorado State University, CS Dept.     |  ignorance is instantaneous"
>503 University Services Center          |                        - Hobbes
>Ft. Collins, CO  80523 | (303) 491-1943 |

jerry
--
Jerry Heyman                     IBM T-R: jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com
AWD Tools Development            VNET   : HEYMAN at AUSVMQ

woan@excelsior (Ronald S Woan) (01/11/91)

In article <12040@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, haines@debussy.cs.colostate.edu
(Matt Haines) writes:
Matt> So, does anyone know anything about pcsim?  Can you run DOS
Matt> applications under this thing?  Can you get to DOS commands, or
Matt> are you stuck in the BASIC interpreter?  BTW, the manual page is
Matt> about as useful as ...

pcsim gives you a VGA 286 (no protected mode) MSDOS machine in an
X-Window or on the console depending on what you have... It is
documented very well under info (under How to install the PCSimulator
Licensed Program)... You get cassette basic of old by default, just
like on the IBM AT and PC of olden days. You have to create a disk
file or directory to simulate a hard disk on your UNIX file system and
tell it to install or boot DOS from the floppy.

DOS System disk in diskette drive:

touch someFilename
pcsim -A 3 -C someFilename
fdisk
select C: 001 US

will make it bootable from the simulated hard drive...

There are also startup flags to put it in VGA mode and a startup file
so RTFM..

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +