[comp.unix.aix] Why can't KA9Q telnet to AIX 3.1?

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (01/10/91)

I've got a bit of a problem.  Our KA9Q telnet client can't seem to
finish option negotion when connecting to our RS/6000.

I flagged DEBUG in the KA9Q telnet client, and I get this:

    recv: do 24
    send: wont 24
    recv: dont 24
    send: wont 24

Then ... _nothing_.  Characters typed are echoed, but that's all, and
I think KA9Q is doing that locally.

The weird thing about this problem is that the above sequence also
appears (followed by negotiation of Echo and Suppress Go-Ahead) when
KA9Q makes successful connections to our SCO UNIX 3.2v2 box.

Our AIX 3.1 is quite new:

   -r-sr-xr--   1 root     system    103330 Nov 08 15:32 /etc/telnetd

So what's the deal?
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
       "If Usenet exists, then what is its mailing address?"  -- me

robin@batcomp.austin.ibm.com (Robin D. Wilson) (01/11/91)

In article <278B42DB.1634@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>I've got a bit of a problem.  Our KA9Q telnet client can't seem to
>finish option negotion when connecting to our RS/6000.

You will need to call Software Defect Support at 1-800-237-5511.  They
will provide you with a fixed version of telnetd.

BTW, if you define the terminal type that you are using on the KA9Q in the
"/usr/lib/terminfo" database, the negotiation won't fail (assuming that the
KA9Q actually does terminal neg.)

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     robin%aixserv@uunet.uu.net                                         |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)823-3015                       |

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (01/12/91)

According to robin@batcomp.austin.ibm.com (Robin D. Wilson):
>BTW, if you define the terminal type that you are using on the KA9Q in the
>"/usr/lib/terminfo" database, the negotiation won't fail (assuming that the
>KA9Q actually does terminal neg.)

KA9Q did not support terminal negotiation until I hacked it in; now
KA9Q telnet is working fine, without any help from Defect Support.
Thanks for the info.

(What a department name: "Defect Support"!  "Good morning, this is
IBM Defect Support.  Which defect can I help you with today?")