[comp.unix.aix] AIX Backup and ACLs

scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) (01/11/91)

Real simply query: does the AIX backup command backup access control
lists? If so, does it do so when backing up "by name" rather than
"by inode". If not, does anything? I have not seen this documented
anywhere.

Also, related to backup, I am in a position where I cannot unmount a
file system before backing it up as the manuals recommend. I understand
that when backing up by name there is a window between when a file name
is passed to backup and when it is actually written to tape during which
the file can be removed. Also, the data in a file can be altered while
it is being backed up. I think I can live with the problems this may
cause (i.e. the corruption of a single file).

What types of corruption can occur when a backup "by inode" is made
on a live file system? If only the certain files (namely those being
altered or removed during the backup) are currupted, then I can live
with it. However, if backing up a live file system results in a
dump set that is significantly corrupted, then I will have to live with
backups "by name".

thanks,
Scott

jfh@greenber.austin.ibm.com (John F Haugh II) (01/12/91)

In article <19494@hydra.gatech.EDU> scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) writes:
>Real simply query: does the AIX backup command backup access control
>lists? If so, does it do so when backing up "by name" rather than
>"by inode". If not, does anything? I have not seen this documented
>anywhere.

Yes, when you back up in "Version 3" format (not with the -o flag,
that is) you are backing up any existing ACLs.  This is one of the
reasons that AIX v3 backups are not compatible with either v1 or
v2.  The ACLs should be backed up in both back-by-name and back-by-
inode forms of the command.
--
John F. Haugh II       | This space intentionally |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4330
SneakerNet: 809/1C079  |      left blank ...      |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ