[comp.unix.aix] netstat -r

pannaiya@nmsu.edu (Pradeepkumar Annaiyappa) (01/15/91)

We have just received an RS/6000 320 and are trying to put
it on the network.  I am having trouble getting tcp/ip and
nis going.  In particular if I do netstat -r the command
hangs.  I am unable to set any static routing using smit.

Does anyone have any list of 'to do' when installing one
of these beasts on the network?  Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

pk
PradeepKumar V. Annaiyappa
Computing Research Lab.,
New Mexico State University,
Las Cruces, New Mexico.

pk@nmsu.edu
505-646-1482

tdeeves@convex1.tcs.tulane.edu (Tim Deeves) (01/15/91)

In article <PANNAIYA.91Jan14185127@aigyptos.nmsu.edu> pannaiya@nmsu.edu (Pradeepkumar Annaiyappa) writes:
>We have just received an RS/6000 320 and are trying to put
>it on the network.  I am having trouble getting tcp/ip and
>nis going.  In particular if I do netstat -r the command
>hangs.  I am unable to set any static routing using smit.

By default, netstat attempts to display network addresses symbolically.
If you're having network problems to begin with and netstat tries to
use a nameserver on another system to resolve addresses to names,
this could cause netstat to hang.  Use "netstat -nr" to avoid the problem.

Tim Deeves
Computing Services
Tulane University
(504) 865-5631

scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) (01/15/91)

In article <PANNAIYA.91Jan14185127@aigyptos.nmsu.edu> pannaiya@nmsu.edu (Pradeepkumar Annaiyappa) writes:
>We have just received an RS/6000 320 and are trying to put
>it on the network.  I am having trouble getting tcp/ip and
>nis going.  In particular if I do netstat -r the command
>hangs.  I am unable to set any static routing using smit.

I had similar problems when setting up some of our 6000s and
traced it down to the fact that I simply didn't read the documentation
carefully enough. There is a characteristic of the ethernet interface
which defines the connector type, either DIX or BNC - BNC for thin,
DIX for thick. If this is set wrong, strange things happen. The
attributes can be accessed via the "chgenet" fast path (i.e
smit chgenet).

- Scott
--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Scott Holt                 		Internet: scott@prism.gatech.edu