[comp.unix.aix] Aix Access for Dos

mandell@mozart.helios.nd.edu (Dan Mandell) (01/14/91)

Apologies for the missing text in the previous message. (It was there
when I sent it!) We are trying to connect AT's already equipped with
Western Digital WD8003E cards to a new RS6000 using IBM's "Aix Access for
Dos".  The software doesn;t seem to recognize the WD cards and documentation
suggests we may need to replace the WD card with UB or 3Com.  Is there a
work around for the WD cards?

Dan Mandell
Saint Mary's College Computer Center
Internet: mandell@bach.helios.nd.edu

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (01/15/91)

mandell@mozart.helios.nd.edu (Dan Mandell) writes:

>Apologies for the missing text in the previous message. (It was there
>when I sent it!) We are trying to connect AT's already equipped with
>Western Digital WD8003E cards to a new RS6000 using IBM's "Aix Access for
>Dos".  The software doesn;t seem to recognize the WD cards and documentation
>suggests we may need to replace the WD card with UB or 3Com.  Is there a
>work around for the WD cards?

The best answer is wait until the end of this month for the new version
of AADU. I have been trying, unsuccessfully to get WD cards to work for
3 months now. Talk to your sales rep about the new one.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

mandell@mozart.helios.nd.edu (Dan Mandell) (01/15/91)

Many thanks for the tip regarding AADU's problem supporting WD cards.  Do you
know whether it is IBM's intention to include support in the coming release,
or are you just hoping.  AADU is a product IBM recommended we use, but I believe
there are some PD/Shareware programs that will provide NFS access; Does AADU
support things beyond NFS? Is it needed to provide Xwindows access?
Dan

richp@romulus.la.locus.com (Richard L. Pettit Jr.) (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan15.014317.25222@news.nd.edu> mandell@mozart.helios.nd.edu (Dan Mandell) writes:
>know whether it is IBM's intention to include support in the coming release,

I don't know why they wouldn't.  We've been supporting the existing product
all along.  And that's no easy task since this is a very old version of
Locus' PC Interface.  The new product is based on fairly recent version of PCI.

>AADU is a product IBM recommended we use, but I believe
>there are some PD/Shareware programs that will provide NFS access; Does AADU

You rolls the dices and you takes your chances.  PCI on the other hand is
a stable product with an installed base of tens of thousands of machines.

>support things beyond NFS?

AADU (PCI) is not NFS.  It's the same only different.  Remote filesystems
become accessable to your DOS machine as your next drive (d: e: f: etc).

>Is it needed to provide Xwindows access?

No.  PCI, PC XSight, and our TCP/IP product are put together like this:

  PCI / PCXSight
     TCP/IP
    MACHINE

so that the two top level products share the same interface to the network.
You can also use some other vendors TCP/IP products as well.

>Dan

Rich
----
              Richard Pettit                       Locus Computing Corp.
                                richp@locus.com
        "Opinions expressed herein are of the author, not (LCC or IBM)"