[comp.unix.aix] X & AIX

jip@helix.nih.gov (john powell) (01/15/91)

Background...

I am very familiar with System Administration on SUNs, SGI's, & Stellars.
I am assisting some basically novice system administrators in setting up and
using a RS6000 AIX 3.1 (patch 3001 I believe).  IBM did the initial
software installation and afterwards on boot the console was running X as root.
After removing the tail lines from /.profile we were able to turn off X on
re-booting.  Again I am a novice to AIX.  Now the questions:

1.  After a user logs in from the console and starts X, how does he
    stop X and logout?  We tried killing X but this leaves the console hung.

2.  (This may be the answer to the first)  Some of the Docs. we have found talks
     about starting X from virtual terminal and hot-keying to other virtual
     terminals.  Were should we look for documentation on doing this?  Any
     info would be appreciated.

An additional comment to the on going discussion on smit.  IMHO IBM has reduced
all of us to novices by introducing objres and stanza files.  Its made worse
by the poor documentation (or lack of in some cases) and the number of errors
encountered when running smit.  It reminds me alot of SUNs system administration
tools provided with the 386i's ... proved to be a real disaster at many sites.

				John Powell
				jip@helix.nih.gov

jwh@bodwin.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Howe) (01/15/91)

In article <829@nih-csl.nih.gov> jip@helix.nih.gov (john powell) writes:

>1.  After a user logs in from the console and starts X, how does he
>    stop X and logout?  We tried killing X but this leaves the console hung.
>
>2.  (This may be the answer to the first)  Some of the Docs. we have found talks
>     about starting X from virtual terminal and hot-keying to other virtual
>     terminals.  Were should we look for documentation on doing this?  Any
>     info would be appreciated.

Your second question does answer the first.  Typically what I do is login
on the console and then execute "open xinit".  The open command is used
to start another terminal session.  You can hot key using the alt + ctrl/act
keys.  I think this is described in the documentation on the Open command.
The open command can take a program as an option.  The "open xinit"
command starts the new session and executes the xinit command.  When you
quit MWM the X server will also be terminated and you will be returned
to your console session.  You can also flip between the X session and
other virtual terminal sessions using the hot key combination described
above.
=

James W. Howe			   internet: jwh@ifs.umich.edu
University of Michigan             uucp:     uunet!mailrus!ifs.umich.edu!jwh
Ann Arbor, MI   48103-4943

ransom@perelandra.austin.ibm.com (01/15/91)

I start X on my console when I login. To do this you need to use
swcons to change the console. In my .xinitrc file, I check to see if
I am on the console (in my case xinit passes as the first parameter to
.xinitrc whether or not I am on the console). If X is being started
on the console, then the .xinitrc creates an aixterm that runs this
small shell script:  swcons 'tty'
		     exec $SHELL
		     exit 0
This swaps the console to the aixterm and runs your shell.
Now, I also changed my .mwmrc to use kill 0 to kill X and in the
.profile, you need to run swcons before starting X. This will clean
up the console when you log back in.
Also the .profile should be changed to only run X if the user is on
the graphics head.

Jeff Peek
AIX Operating System Architecture -- IBM Advanced Workstation Division
ransom@bissell.austin.ibm.com
Austin, TX

frank@gremlin.austin.ibm.com (Frank Feuerbacher) (01/15/91)

> 1.  After a user logs in from the console and starts X, how does he
>     stop X and logout?  We tried killing X but this leaves the console hung.

Use ctrl-alt-backspace.

> 2.  (This may be the answer to the first)  Some of the Docs. we have
found talks
>      about starting X from virtual terminal and hot-keying to other virtual
>      terminals.  Were should we look for documentation on doing this?  Any
>      info would be appreciated.

AIX supports multiple virtual windows (see the 'open' command, try 'open
ksh').  To
cycle between them, use alt-action (forward direction) or shift-action
(reverse direction).

> An additional comment to the on going discussion on smit.  IMHO IBM
has reduced
> all of us to novices by introducing objres and stanza files.  Its made worse
> by the poor documentation (or lack of in some cases) and the number of errors
> encountered when running smit.

You can choose not to use SMIT.  SMIT is a useful tool, even if used
just to learn
what commands to use to do things (look at smit.log & smit.script, also
F6 key).

Unfortunately, the applications that use (or should use) SMIT are not
completely
'polished' in that area.  In my opinion, the problem is not having SMIT,
it is not
having 'enough' SMIT, along with sometimes inadequate documentation.

- Frank Feuerbacher

Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer and they don't speak for me.

karish@mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) (01/16/91)

In article <829@nih-csl.nih.gov> jip@helix.nih.gov (john powell) writes:
>I am assisting some basically novice system administrators in setting up and
>using a RS6000 AIX 3.1 (patch 3001 I believe).  IBM did the initial
>software installation and afterwards on boot the console was running X as root.
>
>1.  After a user logs in from the console and starts X, how does he
>    stop X and logout?  We tried killing X but this leaves the console hung.

<CTRL><ALT><BKSP> kills the X server, with console error messages.
If you put a line like

	"Quit mwm"	f.quit_mwm

into the RootMenu stanza in your users' .mwmrc files, they'll be
able to exit X from the mwm menu.  If the user closes all child
windows before exiting, no console messages will result.

>2.  (This may be the answer to the first)  Some of the Docs. we have found talks
>     about starting X from virtual terminal and hot-keying to other virtual
>     terminals.  Were should we look for documentation on doing this?

Try 'man open'.  This opens a native-mode virtual terminal.  The
user rotates through the active virtual terminals with the right-side
<ALT><ACT> keys.  I always use 'open xinit' instead of 'xinit' so
I have a console window open and can escape from X.  This makes it
easy for a second user to open up another X server without disturbing
my screen while I'm at lunch.

'xopen' opens a virtual terminal from X; toggling back to X iconifies
the virtual terminal.
--

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000