[comp.unix.aix] Best banded matrix solver for the RS-6000?

CRAYJOHN@cc.utah.edu (01/14/91)

	I am is need of the best (i.e. fastest-optimized) routine for
solving a banded matrix.  I run the routine that calls the linear system
solver on both a RS-6000 (for small jobs) and an IBM3090/600
 for the larger jobs.  The n for the matrices ranges from as small as
8000 to as large as 82,000.  Since, for the larger systems, the calculations
take in the CPU days I want the best solver I can find.  Any suggestions and/or
comments would be welcome.

				Thanks,

				Chris Johnson
				CRAYJOHN@CC.UTAH.EDU
				Univ. of Utah

sdl@adagio.austin.ibm.com (Stephen Linam) (01/15/91)

In article <105939@cc.utah.edu>, CRAYJOHN@cc.utah.edu writes:

|> 	I am is need of the best (i.e. fastest-optimized) routine for
|> solving a banded matrix.  I run the routine that calls the linear system
|> solver on both a RS-6000 (for small jobs) and an IBM3090/600
|>  for the larger jobs.  The n for the matrices ranges from as small as
|> 8000 to as large as 82,000.  Since, for the larger systems, the calculations
|> take in the CPU days I want the best solver I can find.  Any
suggestions and/or
|> comments would be welcome.

Look into the ESSL/6000 product which was announced in December.
The manual says that it has routines for banded matrix factorization
and solve.  I haven't worked with the banded routines, but I have
worked with some of the routines in this product and it is fast.
Also, there is an ESSL product for the 3090 as well, and the
calls are the same, so you should be able to run the code without
too much trouble on either system.

The program number for the ESSL/6000 product is 5621-060.

Stephen Linam   AWD Austin   T/L: 793-3674  Bell-net: (512) 832-3674
IBM Internet: sdl@allegro.austin.ibm.com       VNET: LINAM at AUSTIN
Outside:  sdl@glasnost.austin.ibm.com   <= This is supposed to work now!

bowman@uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu (01/15/91)

>Look into the ESSL/6000 product which was announced in December.
>
>The program number for the ESSL/6000 product is 5621-060.

What is ESSL/6000?

Dr. Kenneth P. Bowman, Assistant Professor     bowman@uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
Department of Atmospheric Sciences             bowman@uiucvmd.bitnet
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign     217-333-7105
105 S. Gregory Avenue                          217-244-4393 fax
Urbana, IL   61801

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan15.144122.3598@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> bowman@uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu writes:
>>Look into the ESSL/6000 product which was announced in December.

>What is ESSL/6000?

I am not sure on the official meaning of the acronymn although I have always
thought it stood for "Engineering/Scientific Subroutine Library". But, in
any case, it is a Fortran library. It is also available for AIX/370 along
with vsfortran which generates vectorized code for the 3090 vector facility.
Although we "support" it in some sense (not the 6000 version, obviously),
I have never seen any documentation, so I am not familiar with what sort
of routines it provides. I know there are other actual users of this package
out there on the net, perhaps one of them could enlighten us?

Disclaimer: I don't speak for the company!

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu (John D. McCalpin) (01/16/91)

>What is ESSL/6000?

Jack> [it stands for] "Engineering/Scientific Subroutine Library".
Jack> But, in any case, it is a Fortran library.  It is also available
Jack> for AIX/370 along with vsfortran which generates vectorized code
Jack> for the 3090 vector facility. I know there are other actual
Jack> users of this package out there on the net, perhaps one of them
Jack> could enlighten us?

I have a copy for testing purposes on my machine.  It has an
outrageous number of routines for doing math/statistics/etc.  I will
post more info when I see the documentation later this week.

The only routine that I have used out of it is DGEMM, which looks to
be the same as the version in /lib/libblas.a, and which runs 64-bit
matrix multiplies at a sustained rate of 32 MFLOPS on the Model 320.

If the other routines are optimized as well as DGEMM, then the package
will certainly be worth paying for --- though I don't recall the exact
cost right now....
--
John D. McCalpin			mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Assistant Professor			mccalpin@brahms.udel.edu

sdl@adagio.austin.ibm.com (Stephen Linam) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan15.144548.4214@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
bowman@uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu writes:

|> What is ESSL/6000?

Engineering and Scientific Subroutine Library for the Risc System/6000.
This is a set of high performance mathematical subroutines for matrix
operations, dense and spare linear algebraic equations, Eigensytem analysis,
Fourier transforms, convolutions and a few other things.

The routines are designed to be called from Fortran programs.  They
can be called from C programs, but they use the Fortran convention
for storing matricies.

All of the routines are tuned for performance on the Risc
System/6000, and the performance is quite impressive.

There is an ESSL product for the 370 architecture machines as well,
and the calling sequences between the the Risc System/6000 version
and 370 version of the product are almost all identical.  The
370 version makes use of the vector facility on 3090 machines which
have it.

Stephen Linam   AWD Austin   T/L: 793-3674  Bell-net: (512) 832-3674
IBM Internet: sdl@adagio.austin.ibm.com        VNET: LINAM at AUSTIN
Outside: sdl@glasnost.austin.ibm.com