[comp.unix.aix] To SMIT or not to SMIT

bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) (11/13/90)

Article <32547@netnews.upenn.edu> by reilly@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (G. Brendan Reilly) says:
|This is in response to the neophyte who wants IBM to port
|SMIT to other systems:
I guess that somebody is me, since I've said that a few times in this
newsgroup.  I wouldn't actually concider myself a neophyte, on the contrary;
I've been in Unix for 10 years, AIX for 3, and AIX 3.1 since January.  And
I still think that SMIT is a really good tool for system administration, and
that making kernel extensions the way it is done in AIX 3.1 is much better
than the 'oldfashioned' link/reboot.

Mr. Reilly continued complaining about problems with SMIT.  Well, I never
said that IBM's software was bugfree, I have only commented that the _ideas_
in the software are good.  And the best way to improve the quality of the
IBM products is probably not to flame them here, but to struggle your way
politely through their bureaucracy, (which I know can be hard, but it is
doable).

|I stand with Steve - IBM made a major mistake redefining all
|of the system management tools,
This could be turning into a war, but I think IBM made major step ahead.
|and they are full of bugs.
'Full' is a strong word, I would say they are not bugfree.
|The last thing any system needs is buggy system managment tools.
The first thing any system needs is easy-to-use system managment tools.

Thanks, IBM, for doing what my signature suggests.
--
Bjorn Engsig,         E-mail: bengsig@oracle.com, bengsig@oracle.nl
ORACLE Corporation    Path:   uunet!orcenl!bengsig

            "Stepping in others footsteps, doesn't bring you ahead"

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (11/14/90)

This is a silly discussion.  Let me clarify for Mr. Bjorn of Oracle
that I am not particularly anti-SMIT, anti-logical volumes, or anti-
kernel extensions, although I tend to agree with the guy from Penn that
SMIT is a better idea than its present realization.  In fact, I didn't
mention any of these new features as objects of criticism.  What IS
annoying was the apparent need of IBM to redo common ways of doing old
things (not new things) so that the 17 years of system management
skills are essentially useless.  God forbid you should be doing
anything half-way complicated without all the manuals close by, and the
one you need (you know, the one which maps all the damn LED error
codes when the system crashes or doesn't reboot) is never around.  Feh.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

jsalter@slo (11/15/90)

In article <4871@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) writes:
>What IS
>annoying was the apparent need of IBM to redo common ways of doing old
>things (not new things) so that the 17 years of system management
>skills are essentially useless.

This is not a new argument/comment.  Either inside IBM AWD or outside IBM.
If you don't like it and can make a convincing argument to the powers-that-be,
please do so.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for what OSF's DME is going to do.  Now, THAT
should be interesting.

>Steve Dyer
>dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
>dyer@arktouros.mit.edu, dyer@hstbme.mit.edu

jim/jsalter  IBM AWD, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427   VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: jsalter@slo.awdpa.ibm.com         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
  PS/2 it, or DIE!  :-)  The ramblings above have nothing to do with Big Blue.

bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) (01/14/91)

In a number of articles, the ODM, it's editor odme, and SMIT are discussed, and
in article <4740@awdprime.UUCP> jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) says:

|When I said 'most' configuration could still be done in stanza files (and I
|gave the example of inet.conf)  [ ... ].  If you use
|SMIT and ODM for all your configuration information, then you should be ok.
|Some people might not want to have all their information in an ODM database,
|so we have given the option of starting some of the commands (again I'll use
|inetd) by telling it NOT to use ODM and to use the stanza files.
|
|A thing to note when using smit.  It always modifies the appropriate odm
|database, but doesn't update a stanza file that has the same information in
|it.  This is a shortcoming of the tool and is being addressed.
Yes, this is a shortcoming, in my opinion a somewhat different one, though;
being in the database world has taught my one very important thing: NEVER,
EVER keep redundant information, and I guess this is actually what confuses
people, and makes us uncertain weather to use SMIT or the other tools.  What
happens if I create a user by editing /etc/passwd, mkdir, chown, create
.profile, and run passwd?  What happens if I nfs mount a directory using
/etc/mount?  As these examples show, it is often hard for us to make sure
that all the sysadm information is consistent.  If your answer to this is,
'always use SMIT', then: How do I use SMIT to increase the maximum number of
processes per user?  (Done by 'chdev -l sys0 -a maxuproc=200')
--

timborn@cbnewsd.att.com (timothy.d.born) (01/15/91)

In article <1174@nlsun1.oracle.nl>, bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) writes:
> In a number of articles, the ODM, it's editor odme, and SMIT are discussed, and
> in article <4740@awdprime.UUCP> jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) says:
> |
> |A thing to note when using smit.  It always modifies the appropriate odm
> |database, but doesn't update a stanza file that has the same information in
> |it.  This is a shortcoming of the tool and is being addressed.
> Yes, this is a shortcoming, in my opinion a somewhat different one, though;
> being in the database world has taught my one very important thing: NEVER,
> EVER keep redundant information, and I guess this is actually what confuses
> people, and makes us uncertain weather to use SMIT or the other tools.  What
> happens if I create a user by editing /etc/passwd, mkdir, chown, create
> .profile, and run passwd?  What happens if I nfs mount a directory using
> /etc/mount?  As these examples show, it is often hard for us to make sure
> that all the sysadm information is consistent.  If your answer to this is,
> 'always use SMIT', then: How do I use SMIT to increase the maximum number of
> processes per user?  (Done by 'chdev -l sys0 -a maxuproc=200')
> --
> Bjorn Engsig,         E-mail: bengsig@oracle.com, bengsig@oracle.nl
> ORACLE Corporation    Path:   uunet!orcenl!bengsig
>
>             "Stepping in others footsteps, doesn't bring you ahead"

Bjorn, I have to agree with you.  The redundant stuff burns us every time.

As for SMIT modifying ODM, I believe it, but I have been assured repeatedly
by my IBM reps that SMIT is not doing things behind my back.  To quote
from bos/README (3003; pretty much the same info was in 3002 README):

"Please notice that SMIT is a read-only shell; by itself, it alters nothing
on your system.  Instead it executes commands that do all the work.  Therefore
execution of commands from SMIT gives the same results as execution from
the command line."

So which is right?  SMIT does or does not play with ODM?

Speaking of redundant, did anyone else notice that you have to assign
your node name TWICE in order for it to stick?  uuname -s and hostname -S
must both be run, otherwise you have a schizo system.

-tim
t.born@att.com

bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) (01/16/91)

Article <1991Jan15.143208.25540@cbnewsd.att.com> by timborn@cbnewsd.att.com (timothy.d.born) says:

|"Please notice that SMIT is a read-only shell; by itself, it alters nothing
|on your system.  Instead it executes commands that do all the work.
Sure, I might not have made myself clear.  To the casual user it looks like
SMIT does al the work for you, and what worries me is that I don't know if
e.g. the command that smit calls to say create a user also does things to the
ODM, or if the system status will be the same if I vipw, mkdir, etc. by hand.
|So which is right?  SMIT does or does not play with ODM?
Not per se, but the commands it issues does play with the ODM.

And speaking about redundancy:

  "Completely and totally remove all repetitive redundancy"
--

jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan15.143208.25540@cbnewsd.att.com> timborn@cbnewsd.att.com (timothy.d.born) writes:
>In article <1174@nlsun1.oracle.nl>, bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) writes:
>> In a number of articles, the ODM, it's editor odme, and SMIT are discussed, and
>> in article <4740@awdprime.UUCP> jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) says:
>> | [... my comments about smit and modifying the odm ...]
>>
>> Bjorn's comments about redundent information.
>

>Bjorn, I have to agree with you.  The redundant stuff burns us every time.
>
>As for SMIT modifying ODM, I believe it, but I have been assured repeatedly
>by my IBM reps that SMIT is not doing things behind my back.  To quote
>from bos/README (3003; pretty much the same info was in 3002 README):
>
>"Please notice that SMIT is a read-only shell; by itself, it alters nothing
>on your system.  Instead it executes commands that do all the work.  Therefore
>execution of commands from SMIT gives the same results as execution from
>the command line."
>
>So which is right?  SMIT does or does not play with ODM?

Mea culpa.  My apologies for the misunderstandings with SMIT and ODM.  The IBM
rep is correct when they say that SMIT DOES NOT modify the odm databases.  SMIT
is a front end that build commands (the same ones that can be executed from the
command line) and executes them for you.

SMIT itself DOES NO modifications.  The various commands that are invoked do
the modifications.  Since the modifications take place BECAUSE smit executes
these commands, I usually say that SMIT modifies the ODM databases.  I can see
where the confusion occurs and for that I apologize.

Again, think of SMIT as a big shell script that invokes other shell scripts
to build the appropriate command.  When all the pertinent information is added
by the user, then the appropriate AIX command is issued and executed.  SMIT is
a command BUILDER.

Sorry for the confusion.

>-tim
>t.born@att.com

jerry

--
Jerry Heyman                     IBM T-R: jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com
AWD Tools Development            VNET   : HEYMAN at AUSVMQ

jfh@greenber.austin.ibm.com (John F Haugh II) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan15.143208.25540@cbnewsd.att.com> timborn@cbnewsd.att.com (timothy.d.born) writes:
>As for SMIT modifying ODM, I believe it, but I have been assured repeatedly
>by my IBM reps that SMIT is not doing things behind my back.  To quote
>from bos/README (3003; pretty much the same info was in 3002 README):

The SMIT command builds regular commands which it then executes.  To see
what SMIT is going to do to your system, look at the smit.log and smit.script
files, or press the <F6> key (it's marked "Command" or some such).  This will
let you see everything that SMIT is doing.

>So which is right?  SMIT does or does not play with ODM?

All that SMIT does with respect to ODM is get the dialogs from there.  In
/etc/objrepos there are several ODM classes which begin with "sm".  Those
are the ODM files which contain SMIT dialogs.  If you remove the part of
the name after "." you can use ODME to break^H^H^H^H^Hexamine the dialogs.
--
John F. Haugh II      |      I've Been Moved     |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4340
SneakerNet: 809/1D064 |          AGAIN !         |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ