[comp.unix.aix] Help, IBM!

RBNTJC@ROHVM1.BITNET (Thomas J Cozzolino) (01/17/91)

We have a handful of IBM RS/6000s (530s, 550s, and 320s) and are in need of an
X-based text editor (vi just won't cut it).

I know that HP and DEC have either rewritten the old XEDIT program or come out
with their own Motif-based text editor.

I'm uncomfortable with paying upwards of $1K for a third-party product.  Is
there a new version of XEDIT in X11R4?  How can I get my sweaty hands on it?
Any help, comments, or suggestions are welcome.  Help, IBM??!!

ijlustig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Irvin Lustig) (01/17/91)

In article <91016.112425RBNTJC@ROHVM1.BITNET> RBNTJC@ROHVM1.BITNET (Thomas J Cozzolino) writes:
>We have a handful of IBM RS/6000s (530s, 550s, and 320s) and are in need of an
>X-based text editor (vi just won't cut it).
>
>I know that HP and DEC have either rewritten the old XEDIT program or come out
>with their own Motif-based text editor.
>
>I'm uncomfortable with paying upwards of $1K for a third-party product.  Is
>there a new version of XEDIT in X11R4?  How can I get my sweaty hands on it?
>Any help, comments, or suggestions are welcome.  Help, IBM??!!

The xedit distributed with release 3001 is buggy and is the X11R3 xedit.
For X11R4, xedit was totally rewritten, but is not clear if or when IBM
will release it.  I called the bug in xedit in to Defect Support and
they called me back saying it was fixed in the next release, which will
be sent to all users sometime this month (January).

	-Irv Lustig
	Assistant Professor
	Dept. of Civil Engineering and Operations Research
	Princeton University
	irv%basie@princeton.edu