[comp.unix.aix] automounter on RS/6000

wross@caen.engin.umich.edu (Wendy Ross) (01/17/91)

Three questions about the RS/6000 automounter:

1)  Has anyone tried using the RS/6000 automounter who doesn't
    run yp?

The only way I've been able to get the automounter to work is
by running several processes, one for each directory I wish
to mount.

For example:

/usr/etc/automount /n/engin/sol /etc/auto.sol
/usr/etc/automount /n/engin/jetson /etc/auto.jetson

where /etc/auto.sol looks like:
u       -rw     sol.engin.umich.edu:/u
u2      -rw     sol.engin.umich.edu:/u2

and /etc/auto.jetson looks similar.

I tried from the /n/engin directory level, but that didn't
seem to work.

What I'd really like is /etc/auto.master:
/n/engin/sol    /etc/auto.sol
/n/engin/jetson /etc/auto.jetson

with /etc/auto.sol and /etc/auto.jetson as above.
This way (theoretically) I would just run one automount process.

The instructions for setting this up involve making some yp
files and so forth.  What if we don't run yp?  Is there a way
around this?  I tried just starting /usr/etc/automount, but it
dies and syslogd reports that yp_bind fails (big surprise).

2)  Any comments about the way the RS/6000 handles an "ls" in
    automounted directories?

Example:

# pwd
/
# /usr/etc/automount /n/engin/sol /etc/auto.sol
# ls /n/engin/sol
/n/engin/sol unreadable
# cd /n/engin/sol/u
# ls /n/engin/sol

The suns simply return a prompt without proclaiming the directory
unreadable.  (I'm not sure if this is better or worse -- comments?)

3)  Any comments on the performance of the automounter ( I'm not
    interested in diatribe on automounter performance in general,
    just the RS/6000 specifically ).

Thanks for any input.  Please mail me directly and I will summarize.

Wendy Ross                          internet: wross@caen.engin.umich.edu
Computer Aided Engineering Network
University of Michigan AA

<insert amusing quip here>

wlm@arnor.uucp (01/19/91)

I would advise running amd (available via anonymous ftp from usc.edu)
rather than the supplied automounter which is a port of the Sun one.
Amd is superior, and runs well on the rs6k.

Bill Moran

Obviously, this is just my opinion, and does not necessarily represent
that of my employer.
--
arpa: moran-william@cs.yale.edu or wlm@ibm.com
uucp: uunet!bywater!acheron!khand!wlm or decvax!yale!moran-william

jxt@ornl.gov (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan19.064928.5566@arnor.uucp> wlm@arnor.uucp writes:
>I would advise running amd (available via anonymous ftp from usc.edu)
>rather than the supplied automounter which is a port of the Sun one.
>Amd is superior, and runs well on the rs6k.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but could someone please explain to me just
what is the advantage of using automounter at all? Why is it superior to must
permanently mounting all remote NFS file systems at boot time and leaving them
there?

Thanks,
Johnny Tolliver (jxt@ornl.gov)