[comp.unix.aix] NEW GNU Emacs available - with DUMPING!!!

kaboom@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Jon Maiara) (01/22/91)

>Dumping does not work.  Code has been written to implement it, but
>it fails because the address of bss seems to vary occasionally
>between Emacs runs.

That's odd; it works fine at my site.  By the way, what is the purpose
of all the xaix-keys junk?  All it did for me was break the arrow keys
under X.  When I took it out, it worked.

---Jon Maiara (I really hope the address is right)

lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) (01/23/91)

--

Emacs version 18.56, now available from prep.ai.mit.edu has full RS/6000
support, including DUMPING!!!!!!  Simply get /u/emacs/emacs-18.56.tar.Z, do

I would like to publicly acknowledge and thank Andrew Vignaux (comp.vuw.ac.nz)
for doing the work on making the dump code work reliably.

Steve

Steve Roseman
Lehigh University Computing Center
LUSGR@VAX1.CC.Lehigh.EDU

slh@wolf.cs.washington.edu (Scott Heyano) (01/23/91)

In article <182.279c284e@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu> lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) writes:
[stuff]
|Emacs version 18.56, now available from prep.ai.mit.edu has full RS/6000
|support, including DUMPING!!!!!!  Simply get /u/emacs/emacs-18.56.tar.Z, do
|the normal installation stuff (like making paths.h and config.h) and it works.
|(use m-ibmrs6000.h and s-aix3-1.h in config.h, configure X-Windows if desired).

	Are you sure dumping is working?
	The MACHINE file clearly states that you can produce a dump,
	but after some period of time the dumped executable will fail.
	Quote:
  Dumping does not work.  Code has been written to implement it, but
  it fails because the address of bss seems to vary occasionally
  between Emacs runs.  It does not seem to vary from minute to minute,
  but every few days or weeks it changes to a new steady state.
  When this happens, the dumped Emacs data file becomes invalid.

In article <14622@june.cs.washington.edu>, slh@wolf.cs.washington.edu (Scott Heyano) writes:
> In article <182.279c284e@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu> lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) writes:
> [stuff]
> |Emacs version 18.56, now available from prep.ai.mit.edu has full RS/6000
> |support, including DUMPING!!!!!!  Simply get /u/emacs/emacs-18.56.tar.Z, do
> |the normal installation stuff (like making paths.h and config.h) and it works.
> |(use m-ibmrs6000.h and s-aix3-1.h in config.h, configure X-Windows if desired).
> |
> 	Are you sure dumping is working?
> 	The MACHINE file clearly states that you can produce a dump,
> 	but after some period of time the dumped executable will fail.
> 	Quote:
>   Dumping does not work.  Code has been written to implement it, but
>   it fails because the address of bss seems to vary occasionally
>   between Emacs runs.  It does not seem to vary from minute to minute,
>   but every few days or weeks it changes to a new steady state.
>   When this happens, the dumped Emacs data file becomes invalid.
--

The instabilities that existed seem to have been completely resolved.
Earlier, (pre-mid-December), it was weird - a dumped copy would start and stop

However, for the past month, I have NO PROBLEMS at all (except an Emacs
compiled at AIX 3002 wouldn't work on a 3001 system, for a different reason.)

Is it coincidence that a week after I sent Richard Stallman the newest code to
test, that 18.56 is released, with the same code?  I suspect the MACHINES file
was simply not updated, or the disclaimer left in, just in case.

If anyone has problems, please feel free to contact me.

Steve

Steve Roseman
Lehigh University Computing Center
LUSGR@VAX1.CC.Lehigh.EDU

slh@wolf.cs.washington.edu (Scott Heyano) (01/24/91)

In article <KABOOM.91Jan22023416@lady-day.media-lab.media.mit.edu> kaboom@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Jon Maiara) writes:
[stuff]
>That's odd; it works fine at my site.  By the way, what is the purpose
>of all the xaix-keys junk?  All it did for me was break the arrow keys
>under X.  When I took it out, it worked.

	As I said the docs say it will fail eventually,
	(although Steve Rotenberg(?) says in a later article that that is
	no longer true)
	I'm running it now and will see if it will last.

	What's this xaix-keys junk?
	I didn't notice it when I installed emacs,
	but the cursor keys seem to work fine.

	I do notice that I can't <cntrl>-C it from a shell
	when it was started from a shell.
	It may also be aix or tcsh,
	one of them seems to be flakey at times about ^C & ^Z.
	Or is that normal?  It's not something I try to do normally.