[comp.unix.aix] GNU emacs 18.56

ng@cfd.di.nrc.ca (Kai S. Ng) (01/24/91)

I've installed GNU emacs 18.56 on a RS6000/530 running AIX 3.1 (3002).
It works well on the X11 environment (compiled with HAVE_X_WINDOWS, X11,
HAVE_X_MENU).

However, the DEL key does not function when you are not using X. It seems
DEL is mapped to "ESC [ P" for some reason. Has anybody encountered the same
problem?

Any hint/solution will be appreciated.

...Kai

ng@cfd.di.nrc.ca
kain@vm.nrc.ca
(613) 990-2003

gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone) (01/25/91)

In <1991Jan23.210514.500@nrcnet0.nrc.ca> ng@cfd.di.nrc.ca (Kai S. Ng) writes:

>I've installed GNU emacs 18.56 on a RS6000/530 running AIX 3.1 (3002).
>It works well on the X11 environment (compiled with HAVE_X_WINDOWS, X11,
>HAVE_X_MENU).

This I gotta have.... Big Blue's 18.54 port doesn't do X... :(

>However, the DEL key does not function when you are not using X. It seems
>DEL is mapped to "ESC [ P" for some reason. Has anybody encountered the same
>problem?

Under X, ^? (DEL) is sent with C-Backspace (control-backspace) by default.
IBM has an hft.el in their Emacs lisp/term directory (which I linked to
aixterm.el) which maps all the keys to the Right Things, including
insert, delete, home, end, arrow keys, the whole nine yards....
You Want It, You Got It....

-- Glenn R. Stone
glenns@eas.gatech.edu

richieb@bony1.bony.com (Richard Bielak) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan23.210514.500@nrcnet0.nrc.ca> ng@cfd.di.nrc.ca writes:
>However, the DEL key does not function when you are not using X. It seems
>DEL is mapped to "ESC [ P" for some reason. Has anybody encountered the same
>problem?

You have to start emacs from an aixterm window that emulates a VT100
terminal (not the default). Then  the delete key generates the
appropriate sequence. I do this like this:

    $ aixterm -v -T foo &

Then "-v" flag specifies VT100 emulation. The run emacs in the new
window.

...richie

| Richie Bielak  (212)-815-3072    | "The sights one sees at times makes one |
| Internet:      richieb@bony.com  |  wonder if God ever really meant for    |
| Bang:       uunet!bony1!richieb  |  man to fly."  -- Charles Lindbergh     |

Michael.Witbrock@CS.CMU.EDU (01/25/91)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.unix.aix: 24-Jan-91 Re: GNU emacs 18.56 Glenn
> R. Stone@prism.gat (818)

> Under X, ^? (DEL) is sent with C-Backspace (control-backspace) by
> default.
> IBM has an hft.el in their Emacs lisp/term directory (which I linked to
> aixterm.el) which maps all the keys to the Right Things, including

> insert, delete, home, end, arrow keys, the whole nine yards....
> You Want It, You Got It....

Since it's for GNU, it's presumably freely distributable, can you post
this file, so those of us with only 18.56 can have
working keys. Thanks. michael