[fa.info-vax] the continuing saga...

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (03/26/85)

From: Provan@LLL-MFE.ARPA

Date: 26 Mar 1985 0837-EST

From: Dale Moore <MOORE@CMU-CS-PS1.ARPA>
Subject: Re: the continuing saga...
To: PROVAN@LLL-MFE.ARPA

Check out the V3.0 VAX/VMS System Services Reference Manual
Section 5.3.2 Page 5-6.

@Begin(Quotation)
At login, the system creates default logical name table entries for
process permanent files.  The equivalence names for these entries (for
example, SYS$INPUT and SYS$OUTPUT) are preceded with a four-byte
header that contains the following

        Byte(s)         Contents

        0       ^X1B (Escape character)
        1       ^X00
        2-3     VAX-11 RMS Internal File Identifier (IFI)

This header is followed by the equivalence name string.
@End(Quotation)

Please excuse me while I go puke,
Dale
------

[Forwarded from Provan@CCC.MFENET on March 26, 1985 at 8:33 PST ]

I hope Dale doesn't mind me forwarding this to the net, but I really
want to get his puke to the list and add mine.  I can't believe they
redid all the logical name stuff to get rid of the leading underscore
trash, but they kept all this trash in 4.0.

Can I actually use that IFI to open the file?  I thought I needed
a full FID.