[comp.unix.aix] Modems on the RS6000

geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) (01/25/91)

	Does anyone out there have modems working succesfully on an RS/6000
using CTS/RTS flow control. We have three telebits on our system which run
uucp at the order of 1200 bytes/second. When we cu out to other machines and
run as terminals we have terrible data losses. Running a forms interface
becomes very interesting.

	So if anyone acutally has gotten CTS/RTS to work could you please
tel me.

Thanks

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems

e-mail: geoff@edm.uucp
phone: (403) 423-3046

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (01/29/91)

geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:

>	Does anyone out there have modems working succesfully on an RS/6000
>using CTS/RTS flow control. We have three telebits on our system which run
>uucp at the order of 1200 bytes/second. When we cu out to other machines and
>run as terminals we have terrible data losses. Running a forms interface
>becomes very interesting.

>	So if anyone acutally has gotten CTS/RTS to work could you please
>tel me.

We have 32 Hayes modems working with RTS/CTS. We have had several problems,
but none were related to flow control.  In addition to getty's definitions,
we "stty add rts" in /etc/profile for all the modem lines.  These modems are
configured at 19200 baud.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

Look closely at the return address.  It is nanovx and NOT nanovAx.

robin@batcomp.austin.ibm.com (Robin D. Wilson) (02/02/91)

In article <1513@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
>>	Does anyone out there have modems working succesfully on an RS/6000
>>using CTS/RTS flow control. We have three telebits on our system which run
>>uucp at the order of 1200 bytes/second. When we cu out to other machines and
>>run as terminals we have terrible data losses. Running a forms interface
>>becomes very interesting.

Just a wild guess... But do you attempt to set RTS/CTS on from the command
line,... before carrier is up?  If so, it won't work...  You either need a
carrier signal, or you need the "clocal" bit set from the default terminal
settings.  (Which will require that the port has been enabled, and then had
carrier up to get the "getty" process to set the attributes - kind of a
catch22 - you can't set clocal until carrier is up, but clocal is needed to
tell the machine to ignore carrier.)

The solution Kevin K... (sorry Kevin, but I couldn't remember how to spell
your last name) from Dun & Bradstreet provided (to do an "stty add rts" in
the /etc/profile) will work quite well for dial-in lines (because carrier
will be up when you dial-in) but will not help for dial-out lines.  The only
way to set dial-out lines (for sure) is to set carrier high on you modem
first, then do an "stty add rts" then do your dialing-out.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     robin%aixserv@uunet.uu.net                                         |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)823-3015                       |

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (02/05/91)

robin@batcomp.austin.ibm.com (Robin D. Wilson) writes:

>In article <1513@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>>geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
>>>	Does anyone out there have modems working succesfully on an RS/6000
>>>using CTS/RTS flow control. We have three telebits on our system which run
>Just a wild guess... But do you attempt to set RTS/CTS on from the command
>line,... before carrier is up?  If so, it won't work...  You either need a
>carrier signal, or you need the "clocal" bit set from the default terminal
>settings.  (Which will require that the port has been enabled, and then had
>carrier up to get the "getty" process to set the attributes - kind of a
>catch22 - you can't set clocal until carrier is up, but clocal is needed to
>tell the machine to ignore carrier.)

>The solution Kevin K... (sorry Kevin, but I couldn't remember how to spell
>your last name) from Dun & Bradstreet provided (to do an "stty add rts" in
>the /etc/profile) will work quite well for dial-in lines (because carrier
>will be up when you dial-in) but will not help for dial-out lines.  The only
>way to set dial-out lines (for sure) is to set carrier high on you modem
>first, then do an "stty add rts" then do your dialing-out.

An improvement to AIX's uucp would be to add something similar to what
happens with uucp on AT&T SYS V R3.2.1:

   \M in a chat script means "set clocal"
   \m in a chat script means "clear clocal"

Thus you get a chat script
      ""  \MAT  "OK\r" "ATDT5551212" "CONNECT" "\m"

meaning
   expect nothing
   set clocal and send AT
   expect OK
   send ATDT5551212
   expect CONNECT
   clear clocal

As I mentioned above, this appears in SYSV R3.2.1, but we'll have to wait
to see if AIX will add it.
--

geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) (02/06/91)

In article <1513@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
>

>>	Does anyone out there have modems working succesfully on an RS/6000
>>using CTS/RTS flow control.

	As of today we have since we just received a patch from IBM.
Their number on it is 0x979.

>We have 32 Hayes modems working with RTS/CTS. We have had several problems,
>but none were related to flow control.  In addition to getty's definitions,
>we "stty add rts" in /etc/profile for all the modem lines.  These modems are

I believe this command is part of the above mentioned patch.
You now need to add the lines to have rts/cts in a file called
/etc/tty/addrts.list in order for the lines to use rts/cts.

It only took IBM 2 weeks to agree that this didn't work.

>configured at 19200 baud.
>--
>Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
>{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin
>
>Look closely at the return address.  It is nanovx and NOT nanovAx.

Geoff Coleman

"Of course these are my own opinions"

sam@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (B. Sam Blanchard) (02/07/91)

This is not intended to solve your problem, this is how I solve mine!
geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
>	Does anyone out there have modems working succesfully on an RS/6000
> using CTS/RTS flow control. We have three telebits on our system which run
                                              ^^^^^^^^
We have MultTech modems.  They provide an option (AT&C2) which cycles carrier
off on disconnect and then brings it back up.  You must set the option by
forcing carrier (a toggle switch) and saving the settings.  Saving the settings
takes care of power failures and ATZ but can be overridden manually (or
automatically if your inclined :-).

In article <1520@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
> An improvement to AIX's uucp would be to add something similar to what
> happens with uucp on AT&T SYS V R3.2.1:
) explanation of HDB's /M /m
very True

Standard book recommendation for interested parties:

UNIX System Administration Handbook by Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, Scott Seebass
UNIX Administration Guide for System V by Rebecca Thomas, Rik Farrow

UNIX Networking by Stephen Kochan and Patrick Wood

--
B. Sam Blanchard UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!sam
                 ARPA:  sam@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

bob@menno.bethelks.edu (Robert Schwartz) (02/11/91)

In article <5084@awdprime.UUCP>, robin@batcomp.austin.ibm.com (Robin D. Wilson) writes:
> The solution Kevin K... (sorry Kevin, but I couldn't remember how to spell
> your last name) from Dun & Bradstreet provided (to do an "stty add rts" in
> the /etc/profile) will work quite well for dial-in lines (because carrier
> will be up when you dial-in) but will not help for dial-out lines.  The only
> way to set dial-out lines (for sure) is to set carrier high on you modem
> first, then do an "stty add rts" then do your dialing-out.

Yeah, great, but I want it on my uucp connections.  In general I've been
able to set rts on my modem port from the console, but of course it
gets lost on reboot and I have to do it again.  Is there some way that
this can be set permanently?
--
Robert Schwartz			email:  bob@menno.bethelks.edu
Dept. of Computer Science		...uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!menno!bob