[comp.unix.aix] u character problem on RS/6000

wross@caen.engin.umich.edu (Wendy Ross) (02/09/91)

Has anyone else noticed a very bizarre problem that seems to
come up about every three months with the "u" character?

For example, when the "u" is typed, it appears on the line,
but is then stripped before interpreted.
su
s: command not found (or something like that).
cd /usr
/sr is not found either.
However, cd /*sr does work.

The strange thing is that it only seems to happen irregularly.
It seems partially tied to a pty.  For example, the "u" won't
work, but if you telnet back into the same machine from itself
(luckily telnet doesn't contain a "u") then the "u" character
will work just fine.  When exiting from the telnet session to
the original session, we are right back to the "u" character dilemma.

I cannot reproduce this at will, which is why I hesitate to
call IBM defect support.  It just seems to "happen" every once
in awhile.  So far the cure has been rebooting the machine, and
everything is fine.

This has occurred under Golden and 3001 so far.  Last time all
ten of my lab machines had this happen at the same time.

Has *anybody* else noticed this problem?  Am I the only one
experiencing this weirdness?

Thanks for any suggestions, consolation, or messages just plain
saying "you're weird, you have weird machines; no-one else has
ever seen, heard of, or dreamt of this one before!"

Wendy Ross                   wross@caen.engin.umich.edu
Computer Aided Engineering Network
University of Michigan

<No this is not a joke!>

bobeson@saturn.ucsc.edu (Robert Ellefson) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb8.165809.16692@engin.umich.edu> wross@caen.engin.umich.edu (Wendy Ross) writes:
>Has anyone else noticed a very bizarre problem that seems to
>come up about every three months with the "u" character?
>
>For example, when the "u" is typed, it appears on the line,
>but is then stripped before interpreted.

This is interesting!  One of our PS/2 model 80s running AIX PS/2 v1.1
has a similar, but not identical problem with the 'u' key!
We can type the login name and get a 'u' character, but from
the password on, we are unable to get the 'u' character from
the console keyboard.   Remote terminals are able to function
normally, but the console has been rendered effectively useless.
Rebooting does not help the problem.  I would love to find an answer
to this problem, since this is the only machine we have still
running v1.1, and I don't want to bring it to 1.2 for various
compatibility reasons.

No joke here, either!

-Bob Ellefson

lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb8.165809.16692@engin.umich.edu>, wross@caen.engin.umich.edu (Wendy Ross) writes:
> Has anyone else noticed a very bizarre problem that seems to
> come up about every three months with the "u" character?
>
> For example, when the "u" is typed, it appears on the line,
> but is then stripped before interpreted.
> su
> s: command not found (or something like that).
> cd /usr
> /sr is not found either.
> However, cd /*sr does work.

> Has *anybody* else noticed this problem?  Am I the only one
> experiencing this weirdness?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions, consolation, or messages just plain
> saying "you're weird, you have weird machines; no-one else has
> ever seen, heard of, or dreamt of this one before!"
>
> Wendy Ross                   wross@caen.engin.umich.edu
> Computer Aided Engineering Network
> University of Michigan
>
> <No this is not a joke!>

I ran into this a few months ago, and it was due to an "stty quit undefined"
command within an installation or startup script.  (It has been a while, so
it may have been erase, or some other stty keyword, but you get the idea.)
Anyway, this defined the specified control character to be "u".  I agree,
it was "VERY" frustrating, and took quite a while to deduce.

So, check your scripts.

Steve

Steve Roseman
Lehigh University Computing Center