[comp.unix.aix] AIX

cmaajpj@cc.imperial.ac.uk (Paul Jarvis) (08/20/90)

While on the subject of compatability between versions of AIX how
about trying csh. In a csh shell try:-

           set fs9 = 1234
           echo ${fs9}

This works fine on AIX PS/2 but fails miserably on the RTs and
RS6000s. When reported to IBM tech support the reply was that
this error occurs on many other vendors implementations, I find
the inconsistency amusing.

While on the subject of jokes, try asking IBM technical support
(United Kingdom) how to install a 3com ethernet card into a PS/2
model 80 running AIX. Unless actually trying to do this the
dialog is hilarious!

Disclaimer: All comments are my own (but are probably shared
            by many happy users).

Paul Jarvis, Computer Centre, Imperial College, London
pj@cc.ic.ac.uk

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb13.164020.29596@meadow.uucp> py@meadow.UUCP (Peter Yeung) writes:
>First, it is called AIX, not UNIX. Second, it is from you know who,
>they like to set their own "standards" ;-)

Like Posix, ANSI, X/Open, and even BSD... :-) Wow, IBM is a powerful
force! :-)

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

reilly@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (G. Brendan Reilly) (02/15/91)

Let's stop wasting bandwidth with a flame war.  Any business
school course will clearly outline how IBM makes changes in
what is offered in order to "add value"  Regardless of
whether you believe this is a proper thing to do it is how
IBM makes tremendous amounts of money.  Let's not confuse
IBM with Berkeley, Inc, or the IEEE, and just get on with
making the machines, which many of us had no choice in
receiving, actually work in a useful fashion.