[comp.unix.aix] 3002 X/Motif -- pitfalls anyone?

benson@odi.com (Benson I. Margulies) (02/04/91)

I just compiled and linked a rather large X11R3/motif 1.0 application
that we run on the Sun's by using our own copy of the X and Motif
libraries, including -lXmt. The Info Explorer doc is self-inconsistent
about the correct order of listing the X11, Xm, and Xt libs. The text
says one thing, and the example makefile says something different.

In any case, the result is an application that dies in a XtSetValues
with X server protocol error, "not a valid window ID.". Not
surprising, I think, given a ResourceID of 0 in the error message.

Does this ring any bells out there? Should I give up on IBM's libXm
and libXt and port our copy of Xm and Xtm with the latest bugfixes?

--
Benson I. Margulies

sanders@peyote.cactus.org (Tony Sanders) (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb3.222311.4341@odi.com> benson@odi.com (Benson I. Margulies) writes:
>libraries, including -lXmt. The Info Explorer doc is self-inconsistent
>about the correct order of listing the X11, Xm, and Xt libs. The text
>says one thing, and the example makefile says something different.
In general the order should be from highest level to lowest level:
    -lXm -lXt -lX11

This applies to all libraries that depend on other libraries.

>In any case, the result is an application that dies in a XtSetValues
>with X server protocol error, "not a valid window ID.". Not
>surprising, I think, given a ResourceID of 0 in the error message.
>
>Does this ring any bells out there? Should I give up on IBM's libXm
>and libXt and port our copy of Xm and Xtm with the latest bugfixes?
It sounds like a bug in the application that may not have shown up
on the sun.  I used to have an application that got a protocol
error and I was sure it was a bug in the server because my program
worked just fine on another system, but it ended up I was over
writting an array in another module and that was changing the
value of a GC.

-- sanders@peyote.cactus.org
First rule of software:  Throw the first one away.
and so on...