[comp.unix.aix] RPC: Program not registered

packman@tamuts.tamu.edu (Wally Strzelec) (02/13/91)

I have a RS6000/530 acting as a nis master for a sun4/490 running
sunos4.1 and when ever I run ypxfr from the sun I get the messages:

tamaix.tamu.edu: RPC: Program not registered
(info) tamaix.tamu.edu tamnis.tamu.edu ypservers ypxfrd getdbm failed
(reason =-1) -- using ypxfr

for every service, has anyone else got this problem...

Also does anyone have a "simple" procedure on how to set up a print
spooler on the aix so that I can use lpr.  Its doen't seem to be
anything like what I have seen before... smit wants to know some
intresting things about some buffers that it wants to set up.

	Wally Strzelec
	Texas A&M University
	Unix System Administrator
	packman@tamuts.tamu.edu

These are my own opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of
Texas A&M University.

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (02/18/91)

In article <12077@helios.TAMU.EDU>, packman@tamuts.tamu.edu (Wally Strzelec) writes:
> I have a RS6000/530 acting as a nis master for a sun4/490 running
> sunos4.1 and when ever I run ypxfr from the sun I get the messages:
>
> tamaix.tamu.edu: RPC: Program not registered
> (info) tamaix.tamu.edu tamnis.tamu.edu ypservers ypxfrd getdbm failed
> (reason =-1) -- using ypxfr
>
> for every service, has anyone else got this problem...

Is 'portmap' running?  It translates TCP sockets to RPC ports.  I think
YP is based of of RPC ports.

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #4:             pemurray@miavx1.bitnet