[comp.unix.aix] equivalent of rc.local in AIX ??

josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) (02/17/91)

 Hi is there a equivalent of rc.local (BSD) in AIX ??

 Is the rc file for this ???

 Thanks...

Bye.

bengsig@dk.oracle.com (Bjorn Engsig) (02/18/91)

Article <2899@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx> by josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) says:
| Hi is there a equivalent of rc.local (BSD) in AIX ??
Or to paraphrase:

Is there an equivalent of System V's /etc/rc.d and /etc/shutdown.d directories?

 - or -

What _is_ actually the preferred way of adding application startup and
shutdown procedures?  Searching for various things in InfoExpl doesn't give
a hint.
--
Bjorn Engsig, ORACLE Corporation, E-mail: bengsig@oracle.com, bengsig@oracle.nl

            "Stepping in others footsteps, doesn't bring you ahead"

marc@marc.watson.ibm.com (Marc Auslander) (02/18/91)

There is no /etc/rc.local.  To add one, look at /etc/inittab and copy
the /etc/rc entry, changing the names in the obvious way, and put it
at the end.

--

Marc Auslander       <marc@ibm.com>

carl@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Carl Lewis) (02/19/91)

In <1258@dkunix9.dk.oracle.com> bengsig@dk.oracle.com (Bjorn Engsig) writes:

>Article <2899@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx> by josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) says:
>| Hi is there a equivalent of rc.local (BSD) in AIX ??
>Or to paraphrase:

>Is there an equivalent of System V's /etc/rc.d and /etc/shutdown.d directories?

> - or -

>What _is_ actually the preferred way of adding application startup and
>shutdown procedures?  Searching for various things in InfoExpl doesn't give
>a hint.
>--

I just added a line to the /etc/inittab file

rcloc:2:wait:/etc/rc.local > /dev/console 2>&1  # Do rc.local

Make sure any base services required are booted by the inittab before your
new entry. I made this obvious error with NFS :-)

--
Carl, Programmer (etc) with University of Tasmania
Snail:  Computer Science Dept., University of Tasmania,