[comp.unix.aix] Modems

bfls@cain.anu.edu.au (Barbara La Scala) (02/12/91)

I have just been set a task which I thought would be quite simple.  I need to
set up a dial-in modem on our brand new RS/6000 320.  Nothing fancy, all the
modem needs to do is sit there, answer the phone when it rings and get getty to
fire up the login program.  To this on my Sun workstation all I needed to do
was check the entries in the /etc/gettytab file, edit the /etc/ttytab file and
send a HUP signal to init.  It took me 10 minutes (once I had figured out what
to do :-).  However the IBM doesn't have either /etc/gettytab or /etc/ttytab or
anything that appears to be equivalent.  I am lost.  I have stumbled across
various references to BNU (Basic Networking Utilities) but all these seem to be
for a dial-out modem.  Could someone *please* tell me what part of TFM,
otherwise known as the (in)famous InfoExplorer, tells me where IBM has seen fit
to move all the tty information and how I set up a modem on a dial-in line?

I would also appreciate it if someone could explain just *why* IBM felt it
necessary to make all those endless, gratuitous changes to UNIX.  I have spent
more time and achieved less on this damn IBM box than I have on any other
system, and that includes one of the more buggy ports of UNIX to an 80386 box.

Argh!

Barbara La Scala                   Internet: bfls@cain.anu.edu.au
Statistics Research Section

grover@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (Grover=Davidson) (02/13/91)

try using SMIT. in the devices section you can specify what options need to
be set for each line. This is all documented in your SMIT tool.
Please note that at 3002, 2 way lines are NOT supported properly (at least
that is what IBM support told me). The result of this is that a line must
be either in-coming or out-going, not BOTH.

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) (02/14/91)

In article <BFLS.91Feb12162049@cain.anu.edu.au> bfls@cain.anu.edu.au (Barbara La Scala) writes:

>I would also appreciate it if someone could explain just *why* IBM felt it
>necessary to make all those endless, gratuitous changes to UNIX.  I have spent
>more time and achieved less on this damn IBM box than I have on any other
>system, and that includes one of the more buggy ports of UNIX to an 80386 box.
>
>Argh!

First, it is called AIX, not UNIX. Second, it is from you know who, they like
to set their own "standards" ;-)

--
Peter Yeung     Amdahl Canada Ltd., Software Development Center
                2000 Argentia Road, Plaza 2, Suite 300

tim@comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) (02/15/91)

Quite a few people berate IBM for some of the differences in AIX as
compared to UNIX.

I have to put my two cents in here...  I am one very happy IBM RS6000
user.  I can appreciate the views of some unix users who feel that IBM
has overstepped its bounds in changing AIX in various ways.  I felt
that way at first also, but upon close examination and a few months
of use it is clear that for the most part they knew what they were
doing.  One thing stands out very much, that is that the utilities IBM
has supplied in place of "more traditional" unix commands *work*.  This
simply can't be said of some other systems.

This version of AIX also has numerous features simply not found on
UNIX systems at all.  IBM deserves sound congratulations for thier
work. Thier continued support after the sale is also extremely
refreshing.

I have always believed in giving credit where it is due and IBM
deserves it for sure.

Tim Brown
--
Tim Brown
The SABUS Group

dipto@umbc4.umbc.edu (Dipto Chakravarty) (02/22/91)

In article <BFLS.91Feb12162049@cain.anu.edu.au> bfls@cain.anu.edu.au (Barbara La Scala) writes:
>I have just been set a task which I thought would be quite simple.  I need to
>set up a dial-in modem on our brand new RS/6000 320.

>Argh!
>
>Barbara La Scala                   Internet: bfls@cain.anu.edu.au

I recommend that you use SMIT to configure even the simplest stuff on
the system. On the RS/6000 all the critical data are stored in a
special database format (ref. ODM - Object Data Manager). Unless and
until you use SMIT to change/update/configure system definitions,
proper updates won't occur.

Using the TAB key you may specify the option(s) that you want to use
in sub-menu. Setting up single directional modem lines should not be a
problem.  It is the 'uugetty' stuff with the bidirectional lines that
becomes a little nasty.  Feel free to send mail to dipto@ats.com or
call 800-933-1425 if you require support with RS/6000 hardware
configuration.

-Dipto Chakravarty
 dipto@ats.com

    dipto@umbc.bitnet -----\                     /----- uunet!ats!dipto