[comp.unix.aix] Latest version of AIX

acyoung@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Aaron C. Young) (02/12/91)

	Hi,

	I manage four RT PC's and have my RT's running AIX 2.2.1.

	Is this the latest version?  where can I get the cheapest
	upgrades?

	Also has anyone ever gotten a window manager to work on the
	RT's?  TWM wouldn't work for me.

	Thanks,

	acyoung@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb12.084147.11590@rodan.acs.syr.edu> acyoung@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Aaron C. Young) writes:
>	I manage four RT PC's and have my RT's running AIX 2.2.1.
>
>	Is this the latest version?  where can I get the cheapest
>	upgrades?

I guess from IBM. Anyway, there are several levels of updates, so
2.2.1 doesn't really mean that much.... Theres an option to updatep or
something to tell you what updates you have installed or look in the
lpp.hist files under each feature in the /usr/lpp subdirectories...

>	Also has anyone ever gotten a window manager to work on the
>	RT's?  TWM wouldn't work for me.

Works fine for me, as does gwm... You should be able to get the X11R4
libraries and clients to compile without too much hassle, just no
server.

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

dipto@umbc4.umbc.edu (Dipto Chakravarty) (02/22/91)

If you have an RT running AIX 2.2.1, and you are looking for upgrade
...  you are out of luck. No more o.s upgrade will be done on the RT.
However, support for 2.2.1 will continue to exist, according to IBM's
software support center.

Here is what the matrix for future AIX releases look like:

		Current		Future
		Release		Upgrade
		-------		-------

	PS/2	  1.2		Yes
	RT	  2.2.1		No
	RS6000    3.1		Yes

-Dipto
 dipto@ats.com
    dipto@umbc.bitnet -----\                     /----- uunet!ats!dipto
 dipto@umbc3.umbc.edu ------>   In-real-life:   <------ +1 301 384 1425
dipto%ats@uunet.uu.net ----/  Dipto Chakravarty  \----- CMSC, U. of MD.

brian@locus.com (Brian D. Horn) (02/23/91)

In article <5107@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> dipto@umbc4.umbc.edu.UUCP (Dipto Chakravarty) writes:
>Here is what the matrix for future AIX releases look like:
>
>		Current		Future
>	PS/2	  1.2		Yes	1.2.1 available in next month or so
	370	  1.2		Yes	1.2.1 available in next month or so