[comp.unix.aix] use of class "-C" argument with lpr on RS/6000

dedourek@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (John DeDourek) (02/22/91)

We have a machine (non-aix) machine on campus which serves as a print
server for the unix machines.  This machine requires certain information
in the lpr/lpd protocol control file class argument to specify other
than default fonts, etc.  On most unix machines, this is done
by specifying the "-C" option to lpr.  I have tried this with
aix, but the class argument does not appear to have been transmitted
to the printer server.

At this point, I am not sure whether
-- this is an unsupported feature of aix 3
-- this is a bug in aix 3
-- I have not set up the print queue correctly
-- there is an interoperability problem between AIX and the print server

I would appreciate
-- information on this problem
-- suggestions for isolating the problem

I received one suggestion from a "unix" expert that I "hold the remote
queue" so that I can look at the queued control files.  Unfortunately,
I cannot figure out how to do this on the aix machine.

dedourek@unb.ca

N.B. were are running aix 3.1 at patchlevel 3001

abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb22.153143.19956@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca> dedourek@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (John DeDourek) writes:
>We have a machine (non-aix) machine on campus which serves as a print
>server for the unix machines.  This machine requires certain information
>in the lpr/lpd protocol control file class argument to specify other
>than default fonts, etc.  On most unix machines, this is done
>by specifying the "-C" option to lpr.  I have tried this with
>aix, but the class argument does not appear to have been transmitted
>to the printer server.

After a lot of investigation and conversation with IBM folks, we concluded
that the -C support was omitted from the AIX 3.1 line printer code.  There
is some evidence that the generalized queuing mechanism of AIX, which is
layered above line printer support, is to blame.

Our reluctant choice to recover -C support has been to abandon the AIX
printer system and install our own local package.  That's not an attractive
answer, but if your need to pass printer-specific information matches ours,
I think it's the only choice right now.  (At least it wasn't too hard to
port our local line printer system.)

Vic Abell <abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu>

hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb22.153143.19956@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca> dedourek@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (John DeDourek) writes:
>We have a machine (non-aix) machine on campus which serves as a print
>server for the unix machines.  This machine requires certain information
>in the lpr/lpd protocol control file class argument to specify other
>than default fonts, etc.  On most unix machines, this is done
>by specifying the "-C" option to lpr.  I have tried this with
>aix, but the class argument does not appear to have been transmitted
>to the printer server.

At our site we use the -C option on lpr to transmit our print bin
number to the printserver.  With the IBM's this does not work and
the operators must look up the userid and write the bin number on
it.  They haven't yelled at me yet .....  Why does this option work
for our Sun and SGI systems but not for AIX?

--
Dale A. Hubler  --  Sverdrup Technology  --  (216) 977-7014
                                             hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov

john@johnmad.austin.ibm.com (02/26/91)

I could be wrong, but I think there is a fix for this problem from IBM.
Try refering to the fix for problem IX16830.
John

Statements made here are my personal views and do not reflect
policy or commitments of IBM Corporation.

John Maddalozzo
IBM Advanced Workstation Division  aesnet:	john@johnmad.austin.ibm.com
11400 Burnet Road, 994/3401	   vnet:	JOHNMAD at AUSVMQ
Austin, TX, 78758-3493		   phone:	+1 [512] 823-4837
		uucp:	cs.utexas.edu:ibmaus!auschs!johnmad.austin.ibm.com!john

elee4fg@jetson.uh.edu (02/26/91)

In article <6885@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) writes:

> In article <1991Feb22.153143.19956@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca> dedourek@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (John DeDourek) writes:
>>We have a machine (non-aix) machine on campus which serves as a print
>>server for the unix machines.  This machine requires certain information
>>in the lpr/lpd protocol control file class argument to specify other
>>than default fonts, etc.  On most unix machines, this is done
>>by specifying the "-C" option to lpr.  I have tried this with
>>aix, but the class argument does not appear to have been transmitted
>>to the printer server.
>
> After a lot of investigation and conversation with IBM folks, we concluded
> that the -C support was omitted from the AIX 3.1 line printer code.  There
> is some evidence that the generalized queuing mechanism of AIX, which is
> layered above line printer support, is to blame.
>
> Our reluctant choice to recover -C support has been to abandon the AIX
> printer system and install our own local package.  That's not an attractive
> answer, but if your need to pass printer-specific information matches ours,
> I think it's the only choice right now.  (At least it wasn't too hard to
> port our local line printer system.)
>
> Vic Abell <abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu>
I may have a suggestion that might work.
Since AIX 3.1 support virtual printer , why don't you setup multiple
virtual printer to point to the same printer but using different bin
For example,
   Let's say you have printer 1 attach to print server with dual bins
   You can setup Virtual printer 1 to pinter to printer 1 with bin 1
                 Virtual printer 2 to print to printer 1 with bin 2.
I know thing like this can be done on Novell.  Due to the lack of experience
on AIX, I am not sure whether this may work.
Seng C. Gan
(Star Enterprise)
Tel: ( 713)874-7816 (Work)