[comp.unix.aix] hanging telnets and ftps

CCVJ@lure.latrobe.edu.au (02/26/91)

We have three RS6000s, two model 540s and one model 530, all running
at the same level (03.01.0001.0003).  All three are on the same
sub-network, have identically configured tcpip for nameserver,
netmasks, broadcast...etc, but one of the 540s periodically loses its
ability to translate names to addresses for ftp and telnet. (ping it
can do and "host node" returns numbers which have had to be gotten from
the nameserver!).

I can fix this by flushing the routing table and restarting
routed.

I have run telnet with netdata toggled, and get no output (by name -
it works by number). I have put the names and addresses of our most
frequently accessed machines in /etc/hosts and the behaviour is strange.
With a name in /etc/hosts, ftp or telnet will work - but with a terribly
long delay, long enough to make most users ^C out of it.  However, using
the address, the response is virtually immediate.  (Is this because it
tries to resolve the name first?)

Has anyone seen this sort of behaviour before, or can any network
gurus point me in any directions?

Thanks,

Vicki Jordan
Computing Services
La Trobe University
Bundoora Vic 3088
Australia

ccvj@lure.latrobe.edu.au

gmoff@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Moffat) (02/27/91)

CCVJ@lure.latrobe.edu.au writes:

>Has anyone seen this sort of behaviour before, or can any network
>gurus point me in any directions?

 I have seen enough of it in the last three days to want to go to the gym to
 develop enough strength to throw our 730 out the window *B^)

>We have three RS6000s, two model 540s and one model 530, all running
>at the same level (03.01.0001.0003).  All three are on the same
>sub-network, have identically configured tcpip for nameserver,
>netmasks, broadcast...etc, but one of the 540s periodically loses its
>ability to translate names to addresses for ftp and telnet. (ping it
>can do and "host node" returns numbers which have had to be gotten from
>the nameserver!).

We have two 320s & a 730 with two ethernet interfaces, all at 3001, same
mask, no nameserver. I'm trying to get the 730 to act as a router to the
320s on a subnet. The 320s appear OK but the 730 keeps exhibiting these
symptoms but not always immediately - I have not yet found anything hard to
cause it.

>I have run telnet with netdata toggled, and get no output (by name -
>it works by number). I have put the names and addresses of our most
>frequently accessed machines in /etc/hosts and the behaviour is strange.
>With a name in /etc/hosts, ftp or telnet will work - but with a terribly
>long delay, long enough to make most users ^C out of it.  However, using
>the address, the response is virtually immediate.  (Is this because it
>tries to resolve the name first?)

Using netstat -r (as smit does) to display the routing tables hangs for
about 8 minutes, whereas netstat -rn is immediate. Sometimes route -f also
hangs (I don't know for how long, I've always ^C'ed it)  Doing a rmdev -l
inet0 -d' will cure the hang (I'm not sure what it's doing, exactly, but I'm
into some desperate hacking)  All the hosts names are in /etc/hosts.
-An aside: I have noticed that using smit to add hosts on occaisions will
produce a corrupted /etc/hosts - extra or misplaced comments, from memory.
My host name is the name associated with the subnet address, not the main
net address, I was wondering about this. Also I have been adding/deleting
routes directly with route, should I perhaps be using smit totally?  (I have
not yet experimented with these, I'm taking some sanity time to read the
news)

> I can cure the problems by flushing the routing tables and restarting
>routed

My problems occur whether routed is running or not!

A direct question: should I specify the -g (gateway) parameter when starting
routed? I have RTFM, the 'How to configure routed' man page is about as
useful as tits on a bull - its a paraphrase of the routed man page.

>Thanks,
Me too

--
    Graeme Moffat,                        Phone : +64 9 737 999  x8384
    Computer Aided Design Centre,         Fax   : +64 9 366 0702

graeme@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Graeme Moffat) (03/05/91)

Well, I've solved my problems with a little help. The hangs were due to
trying to resolve names without a nameserver! (7 minutes is a ridiculously
excessive timeout - where is this configured?)  I had an empty resolv.conf
instead of no resolv.conf - I'm sure everyone knows the difference - and no
local nameserver. Earlier on I had filled in the nameserver entry of the
smit tcpip minimum configuration menu, then later removed it using 'further
configuration..name resolution..' when I realised I didn't want it, without
knowing that the file had been created.
*Flame on*
This is another example of smit (I know, it's only a command interface)
doing unknown things behind my back. My previous unix administration
experience is zilch, and I have a lot to learn, but I can read manuals (if
we had any *B^(, and I don't want things hidden away in the bowels of some
festering object database, I want to know exactly what I have configured so
I can take it away again if it's not right. I have poked around in a
traditional BSD machine, and the config files seem fairly straightforward
(not counting sendmail *B^)  once I had an overview of the system (with
help from a SUN installation manual - some manufacturers know how to produce
readable material with examples, unlike infoexplorer, which is a dog)
*Flame off*
Please excuse my ramblings, but this alone has wasted two whole days of my
time, and I've had others like it.
--
Graeme Moffat                g.moffat@aukuni.ac.nz \ Time wastes us all,
Computer Aided Design Centre,  Fax: +64-9-366-0702 /  our bodies & our wits

murphy@ibma0.cs.uiuc.edu (michael r murphy) (03/06/91)

My apologies to those concerned with network bandwidth,
but I must say:

AMEN!!!

to the previous flame.